Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Modifying the Boom - Need Suggestions

I'm pulling the stick in May when I haul out. This is for a complete overhaul, repaint and modifications. One of the things I am interested in doing is to do a major modification of the boom, including the following:

1. Since the Searunner trimarans have the mast located in the center cockpit, all control lines are worked near the helm. I want to install sheaves and line locks in the boom for the outhaul and two or three jiffy reefs, with the controls exiting at the gooseneck. I'm hoping some folks have interesting arrangements I might incorporate in my mod.

2. I have lazy jacks. I'm considering building one of those vee-shaped baskets of glassed foam or an aluminum tube structure, around the boom, to contain the doused mainsail. Moving the lazyjacks outboard will help contain the sail more efficiently, allow me to install a permanent sail cover that doesn't require slits for the lazy jacks, and will allow me to release and stow the lazy jacks forward at the root of the boom. Does anyone have a name for this type boom? I have seen a number of them locally, and they seem to perform exactly as I am hoping, yet keep the weight down.

3. The topping lift will actually be a spare main or "skyhook", attaching at the aft end of the boom. A boom arch or structural bimini will have hollows to support the boom when the topping lift is released. The other main halyard, plus staysail halyard, roller furler genoa and headstay genoa halyards will all be internal. The two spinnaker halyards will be on masthead blocks and external. There will be no pole lifts or other track devices.

4. The main sheet will either run under this basket structure, or through the interior of the vee-base, with cut-outs to allow access.

5. The last consideration I have is for how to manage the waterfall that will occur when rain, falling down the face of the sail, is "guttered" to the chainplate area and onto the top of the hard dodger. There seems to be no simple manner underway to keep the base of the mast from being in a shower mode during rainstorms. Any suggestions?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
AS far as your lazy jacks, why don't you just take them forward to the mast. We stow ours at the mast except when we are actually dropping the sail. That's the only time they are needed. I have the velcro cut out for the lazy jacks in my mainsail cover but have never used them. BTW, our mast is not in the cockpit so have to go forward to deploy the lazy jacks but it's a simple thing to do.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 15:44   #3

[QUOTE=Roy M;400015]
2. I have lazy jacks. I'm considering building one of those vee-shaped baskets of glassed foam or an aluminum tube structure, around the boom, to contain the doused mainsail. Moving the lazyjacks outboard will help contain the sail more efficiently, allow me to install a permanent sail cover that doesn't require slits for the lazy jacks, and will allow me to release and stow the lazy jacks forward at the root of the boom.
QUOTE]

Roverhi, I think that's what I said. Perhaps I should have said gooseneck, though.
Old 07-02-2010, 18:18   #4

I found it! Pocket booms. Cool name. Here's a link and a picture: http://www.compositesworld.com/artic...-handling.aspx
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22   #5

Latest find: Why waste the money, weight and energy on a boom modification? I recall seeing one of these on a Catana cat: http://www.neilprydesails.com/pdfs/L...stallation.pdf
They are called "lazy-bags" and use only fabric, a zipper and a couple of battens. Too cool!
Old 08-02-2010, 20:26   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Take a look at Mackpack as well.
(No connections but as a customer.)
I never particularly liked the similar covers supported with a batten or rod. I like that the Mackpack can slide down the lazyjacks. They have issues of their own, but less objectionable, IMHO.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote