Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 12:16   #1

Boat: Tartan 41 1973
Mast Pitting - How bad? What to do?

I recently bought a 1973 Tartan 41. I am having the mast painted and there is corrosion/pitting under some of the mechanically attached hardware. The boat is in a yard in Mexico where the work is being done. I am inclined to have them caulk with 3M 4000UV when re-attaching the hardware and figuring out what to do long-term after I get the boat back and can be more involved with the repair.
My impression is that these boats are generally overbuilt and have stout masts. I won't be driving it hard in an offshore race, but I do want to get it home in one piece. Welding a cover plate over the damaged area seems unwise (heat and stress points). A composite "band aid" may be a better solution. Of course, a new mast would be ideal...
The standing rigging has been replaced recently, so I don't have a concern there.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks much in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Pitting Boom Fitting sm.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	234268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast Pitting Sheave Insert2 sm.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	234269  

BrianMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:02   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Mast Pitting - How bad? What to do?

Others may know more, or better, but welders can often add material to a corroded area to make it stronger without having to add reinforcement plates. You could also show your pictures to an engineer to find out how worried you need (or don't need) to be.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 15:22   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Mast Pitting - How bad? What to do?

You may want to get your hands on a pit gauge. Google away on "pit gauge" to see what I mean. It will let you measure the depth of the pits and compare that to the wall thickness. Some are simple things with a pivoting lever and the fancy ones have a digital readout. Having numerical data helps.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast