Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 09:32   #1

Mariner 28 (Peter Canning) Running rigging

Ahoy!

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

Here we go again...

In prepping our (Schaffer) mast that has been laying on the hard for 20+ years, we have discovered that the sheaves are seized up pretty badly, and that we also need to replace the main sail rope on the bottom half of lines inside the mast - there are two different size wires (1/8 & 1/6) cables which connects to the bottom half of the main sheet halyard within the mast.

Question:

1) what is the procedure to change out the ropes (steel cables are is good shape) ??

2) Any suggestion as to how to safely remove the sheaves and to service them?

George & Georgiea
Latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 03:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Mariner 28 (Peter Canning) Running rigging

Do you mean that your halyards are wire-to-rope? I know two people who can do that splice, and one of them refuses to. These days we just use Dyneema-cored ropes, change out the sheaves (sounds like you need to anyway), and toss the wire rope in the scrap heap.
If you want to re-use the wires, Brion Toss' "Rigger's Apprentice" has, or had, in an early edition, instructions for the rope-to-wire splice. Your best bet might be to sweat through it yourself.
The masthead sheaves are usually just on a pin that pulls out once you remove the corrosion. Inspect and replace the pin while you're about it.
Old 26-11-2020, 04:48   #3

Rope to wire tail splices are time consuming but not particularly difficult with the proper sized hollow point fid. They take about an hour to bury both the wire and rope

Sheaves are designed for wire, rope and wire to rope. They all have different profiles so a decision needs to be made regarding what type of halyards you buy going forward. You may run into an issue with sizes for an all rope halyard if the masthead sheave box is particularly narrow.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 05:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

" You may run into an issue with sizes for an all rope halyard if the masthead sheave box is particularly narrow."

Sherpa, could Latecomer overcome that problem by sticking to Dyneema? It's as strong and inelastic as wire rope per diameter, or close to it. The only problem I can think of is that "Chinese finger puzzle" splices in Dyneema are rather long, and would go though the mast top sheave.
Old 26-11-2020, 07:44   #5

I think a dyneema splice could be tapered to fit along with overall tapering of the working end of the halyard and with the proper sheaves.

I like to coat the tapered core with Maxijacket.
Sherpa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 12:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

If the halyards are wire/rope spliced the sheaves will be wide enough for the rope.

It makes just about zero sense to get new wire/rope halyards in this day and age. Current high tech ropes stretch less than wire does. Especially on a 28'boat.

As the sheaves need replacing make sure the new ones are for rope only.

A good choice for new halyards would be Samson XLS which is not very expensive. Sta-Set or other affordable alternatives are available at any marine chandlery.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 12:42   #7

Go to all rope halyards.
Is the pin frozen? Probably. That's a tough one. Hammer, punch, heat , force. Lubricants like PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench etc wont go into that aluminum oxide. Heat can be used to expand the pin then when it contracts it breaks the brittle oxide, but it's dicey.
You may end up sawing the pin with a hacksaw blade (no holder), or a sabre saw, if there is room to get inside the masthead aluminum alongside the sheaves to do it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:32   #8

Good evening,

I just returned from the boatyard, and I wasn't able to answer any8 questions regarding the task at hand...
I knocked out the pins then pried out the sheeves with relative ease...then I separated the two wire cables from the masthead and took it home with me to work on. The sheeves and pins are now soaking in kerosene...done alittle preliminary scrubbing with a paint brush, and it appears everything will clean up good..just alittle elbow grease will do. As for the ropes, there are in good shape as well, and will be reused; I left ropes soaking in water with mild dishwashing liquid, and immediately I saw the green stuff coming off..very optimistic it will clean up well. I will rinse it out in the morning and let it dry.
I will let you all know how it works out. Thanks to all. This group rocks!
Old 26-11-2020, 21:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latecomer View Post
Good evening,

I just returned from the boatyard, and I wasn't able to answer any8 questions regarding the task at hand...
I knocked out the pins then pried out the sheeves with relative ease...then I separated the two wire cables from the masthead and took it home with me to work on. The sheeves and pins are now soaking in kerosene...done alittle preliminary scrubbing with a paint brush, and it appears everything will clean up good..just alittle elbow grease will do. As for the ropes, there are in good shape as well, and will be reused; I left ropes soaking in water with mild dishwashing liquid, and immediately I saw the green stuff coming off..very optimistic it will clean up well. I will rinse it out in the morning and let it dry.
I will let you all know how it works out. Thanks to all. This group rocks!
Are you going to re-use the halyards as they are - wire and rope?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 20:19   #10

Hi mitiempo,

yes, we have decided to try to salvage the ropes as well...got it soaking still (hope I didn't mess up leaving em so long), I will definitely rinse and dry at first light tomorrow. If rope are not salvageable then I will get rid of the steel cables and replace with all ropes. We will keep you guys posted.

Regards,

George & Georgiea
Old 29-11-2020, 08:03   #11

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I did this a couple of years back and got new delron shelves for about 49-50 buck and went with all rope. Worked a charm and now don’t worry about a possible failure of the old rope.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:21   #12

Update:

Ropes are good; turn out rather well, and looks and feels much better than the new ones we purchased off Amazon. Also, the the sheaves recovered as well.

Now, here is the thing, we have a total of 4 sheaves at the head of the mast, and only 2 sheaves are being utilized for (presumably) topping lift, and main sheet. We tried using some 3/7th of an inch rope via one of the extra sheaves to operate outside of the mast, but that doesn't seem practical at all - rope doesn't have the necessary clearance to prevent bindings or chafing, and not sure if smaller rope would make much difference.

Noob Question: How many extra halyards should we have on top of the mast ? And, if its so designed that the mast sheaves are for internal operations only, how do we get at least one extra halyard atop of the mast that can safely hoist a 200lbs person ?
Old 09-12-2020, 14:24   #13

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Latecomer - which hull # do you have? We sold our '79 Mariner 28 in 2006 to a couple in Maine. Moondrifter was hull #84 IIRC...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:41   #14

Hi Ron,

I think it's # 1004; not sure, just going off my recollection ...I 'll let you know for sure when I go back to the yard.
Haven't sail mine yet, but from what I gathered it appears I'm in for a treat��
Please feel free to share any of your experience and knowledge about the Mariner 28, because I definitely behind the curve.

Have a Great Holiday Season.

George & Georgiea

Tags
marine, rigging