Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 09:39   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Mainsheet track

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Keep the traveler. It is invaluable controlling weather helm. It also can be a real addition to boat speed when going to weather or close reaching because letting down the traveler moves the force of the main more forward and less sideways. If you are worried about the traveler car moving across from side to side, lock it off with traveler control lines or sliding locks.

Moving the boom by adjusting the traveler is easy and instant, much better than fiddling with two mainsheets or than going without.
This is true, but it depends on the length of the traveller. Mine was only 38 inches with the sheet at end-boom, and the change I made (single sheet, no traveler) had no affect whatsoever, just more sheet, but simpler.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04   #17

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
This is true, but it depends on the length of the traveller. Mine was only 38 inches with the sheet at end-boom, and the change I made (single sheet, no traveler) had no affect whatsoever, just more sheet, but simpler.
Simpler is better.

But I am surprised that you found not change whatsoever when you went from traveler to no traveler.

On your boat with 38" of traveler to play and 20' boom you have about 75% of the travel (angle) as I do on my boat. I find that moving the traveler about 10 inches makes a big difference on the feel at the helm, and moving it nearly 20 inches would make a definitive change in the trim.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:12   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I just went the other way. I had a single attachment point. I have been working to reduce weather helm. Laying in Dominica and bored I made up an old style traveller using some dyneema and available hard points. I found it made a noticeable improvement in the helm, not huge but helpful. Now my main was pretty baggy. Perhaps with a crisp new main it makes less difference?

This was initially was just a trail to see if I wanted to add a traveller. I like my improvised set up enough that I am keeping it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 15:07   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Simpler is better.

But I am surprised that you found not change whatsoever when you went from traveler to no traveler.

On your boat with 38" of traveler to play and 20' boom you have about 75% of the travel (angle) as I do on my boat. I find that moving the traveler about 10 inches makes a big difference on the feel at the helm, and moving it nearly 20 inches would make a definitive change in the trim.
Not sure if I understood you but what I meant was that I can still adjust my boom position. I have a 6 to 1 tackle, so I can pull the line in or release it from the cam to let out as much as needed, even inches, just the way I did with the traveler in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bscap0007.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	252614  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 23:58   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Not sure if I understood you but what I meant was that I can still adjust my boom position. I have a 6 to 1 tackle, so I can pull the line in or release it from the cam to let out as much as needed, even inches, just the way I did with the traveler in place.
But the main sheet pulls the boom in the vertical plane as well as horizontal. With your arrangement, you can't change the angle of attack of the mainsail without changing the leech tension and thus the shape of the sail. Shape and angle of attack are two completely different things; if you like to sail, it is highly desirable to be able to control them separately. That's why God invented travelers and why I wouldn't sail without one.

If you have a very powerful vang, you might compensate for lack of a traveller with very active use of the vang, but that's very fiddly, requiring manipulating both controls and retrimming for shape, every time you just want a small change in angle of attack.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dockhead,

You describe it well. I had a hard time discovering this on my own. It was only when someone with good writing skills and patience described how to properly set a mainsail that I “got it.” That was when I rigged my make shift traveller. On my very heavy 44’ cutter it surely makes a difference.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:06   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just went the other way. I had a single attachment point. I have been working to reduce weather helm. Laying in Dominica and bored I made up an old style traveller using some dyneema and available hard points. I found it made a noticeable improvement in the helm, not huge but helpful. Now my main was pretty baggy. Perhaps with a crisp new main it makes less difference?

This was initially was just a trail to see if I wanted to add a traveller. I like my improvised set up enough that I am keeping it.

On the contrary, a crisp new main will care MORE about this control. Because with a baggy sail you have little control over shape, no matter how the boat is rigged. With a new main (look at the new laminates for your new main; even better), you will be able to make it flatter or fatter and twist it as you need it. Once you've set all that and have the shape you want, you will NOT want to screw it all up every time you just need to make a small change to angle of attack.

Kudos on your rigging skills. Photos?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 04:52   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dock,

Boat is in “dock queen” mode while we wait out some medical crap. The broom and shovel are to deal with snow.

The “traveller” proper is simply a hit if dyneema between the hand rails (1/2” schedule 80 316 pipe”). The falls going to the boom are simply keeping the boom in place and still. When sailing they attach to the “car” on the dyneema. And I can pull the car back and forth to position the sail.

The “car” is a purchased “dyneema snatch block” kind of thing. The snap is a low friction ring type construction.

The falls are repurposed from the runners. They go to the same attachment point for either purpose. Mostly they are now hooked to the main as traveller car controls. If I am in a situation where I do need them as running back stays I am unlikely to be needing them as car traveller controls. Dual purpose.

It works. It would be nice if it was a bit longer. But we have have done so much other work on the boat in the recent past this is just gonna have to stay as it is, for now. Good enough to go sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D98E97B-324F-4F92-9A68-7A05B6B0662B.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	252635