Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2022, 05:55   #16

Boat: ETAP 22
Re: loop to loop connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
With enough turns, the lashing can be the strongest link. If something is going to cut the lashing, won't it cut the big rope as well? How much of the big rope can you afford to have cut before it's no longer big?
I'd say it's better to avoid things that cut.

I could easily be wrong but the way I picture it is that the lashing is effectively a long thin rope that will fail when it is broken anywhere along its length (when it can unwind) - its effectively a long chain of links in series, so if the thin rope is, say, 3/16" thick then 3/16" of damage will cause the system to fail, whereas it wouldnt cause a 1" rope to fail.

I didnt mean the undamaged lashing would be the weakest link, it could be the strongest, I just dont think it is very damage tolerant

This is unlike glass fibre reinforcement tows which has many fibres in parallel so if one fibre breaks due to a statistical flaw or damage then the load is distributed to the others and failure doesnt occur. Thats why the G in GRP (which is very brittle but strong) is un-intuitively very strong

I will of course also avoid any cuts hopefully!

I'm sorry if the above sounds very geeky, but thats what I am.
And despite my la-di-da waffle-ings I think that empirical / experience beats theory hands down every time
Malagueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 01:20   #17

Boat: ETAP 22
Re: loop to loop connection

I used the loop to loop connection
I will probably cable tie the loops together to minimise movement
Malagueta is offline   Reply With Quote