Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 10:24   #1

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Looking for the Right Furler

Hi there

I have a Shipman28 and I have realized that as a solo sailor I cant be running around the boat hoisting and dropping sails. So l have decided to start by getting a jib furler.

Plastimo look good and cheap, but maybe too cheap...
Furlex look really good, but expensive...

What are your experiences on jib furlers for similar boats?
Also, how much will I have to modify my current jibs to fit the furler??

Cheers
Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 10:56   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Looking for the right furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Hi there

I have a Shipman28 and I have realized that as a solo sailor I cant be running around the boat hoisting and dropping sails. So l have decided to start by getting a jib furler.
Are you infirm or disabled? I don't think the distance from the cockpit to the mast is much greater on your boat that on the Hunter 25 I singlehanded for many years. I often wished for the convenience of a roller furling headsail until the time I was heading south from Venice, Florida down the Intracoastal Waterway. It's a very narrow, straight stretch so when the three boats ahead of me unrolled their jibs I went forward and hauled up mine as well. The water was smooth and the wind was just right.

But all good things must come to an end. When the channel turned directly into the wind two of the boats ahead rolled up their headsails. I went forward and dropped my jib. As I passed the third boat I saw the skipper sitting on the foredeck turning the furling drum by hand. It looked pretty inconvenient to me. His furling line had broken.

Quote:

Cheers
Andres
My Gemini has a roller furling headsail and I love it. It's a Furlex and has been trouble-free. The nicest thing about it is I don't have to stow the sail below deck when I'm not using it.

Roller furling headsails are cut much higher than hanked on headsails. If you try to have your existing sails recut you'll lose a little sail area from the foot of the sail.

If you want a dial-a-jib for convenience by all means get one. But you don't need one to single hand a 28-footer. The best thing you can do for single handing a tiller-steered boat is to attach three small blocks to the outside of your deck, then run a line through them that you can tie to the tiller. With that you can steer the boat from anywhere on deck, giving you time to raise and lower sails and get them furled.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 11:43   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

I would suggest one of the following Pro-Furl, Schaffer, Harken or a Hood Seafurl. I have had 3 of the 4. The Harken 00 is what I had on my last boat and it was a great little unit. Before that it had a very old Schaffer that would have still been in use if it hadn't gone for an unrecoverable swim when dropping the mast. I have a Hood Seafurl now (different boat). Also a good unit. If I were to replace the Hood I'd go with a Profurl.

If the halyards are wire rope and you want to change them now would be a good time (installing the furler) just remember to also change the sheave. Depending on location I'd also make sure it reefs, not all do.

If you've never had a furler rule #1 is never use a winch. If you feel resistance there is a reason.

I'd suggest figuring a way to secure your tiller/wheel if you don't have autohelm while you are raising/adjusting sails. There are many options out there.

Have fun!

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 14:10   #4

I have always had Plastimo furlers on all my boats. Never given me a moments trouble. The last one was 10 yrs old and still worked like new. A lot of people look down on them as they use a lot of plastic components. But in practice that means there is nothing to corrode or wear out. They also have a significant price advantage. Not that they are cheaply made just that they churn these out in large numbers. Hence they have lower manufacturing costs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for any boat up to 45'
russcannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 14:19   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Hi there

Plastimo look good and cheap, but maybe too cheap...
Furlex look really good, but expensive...

Cheers
Andres

I do not have great experience, but I can tell you that I would much prefer to NOT have a continuous-line furler.

Until you get one, put a downhaul on your headsail. If your boat's bow is skinny and there's *any* chance that the sail might go into the water, you can put childproof netting on the bow starting at the aft end of the pulpit. The combination can help you get that headsail secure very quickly. I had this on my previous boat. I also had a bungee cord fastened up there ready to restrain the headsail so it would stay low and not redeploy itself.

Maybe it's not as good as a roller furler but given the one I have now (a Hood 810) (and except for the height of my mast, 42') -- I would rather have hank-on. I am not one with my roller furler!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 14:23   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I would suggest one of the following Pro-Furl, Schaffer, Harken or a Hood Seafurl. I have had 3 of the 4. The Harken 00 is what I had on my last boat and it was a great little unit. Before that it had a very old Schaffer that would have still been in use if it hadn't gone for an unrecoverable swim when dropping the mast. I have a Hood Seafurl now (different boat). Also a good unit. If I were to replace the Hood I'd go with a Profurl.

If the halyards are wire rope and you want to change them now would be a good time (installing the furler) just remember to also change the sheave. Depending on location I'd also make sure it reefs, not all do.

If you've never had a furler rule #1 is never use a winch. If you feel resistance there is a reason.

I'd suggest figuring a way to secure your tiller/wheel if you don't have autohelm while you are raising/adjusting sails. There are many options out there.

Have fun!

SC

OHHHHH very important:

MAKE SURE THAT ROLLER FURLER COMES WITH, OR THAT YOU ADD ON, A HALYARD RESTRAINT.

I actually know someone who lost two forestays in two days due to lack of a halyard restraint. I also enjoyed that special thrill. Without a restraint your halyard can wrap around the forestay and twist it until it splays or even snaps.

So ... if your headsail seems reluctant to unfurl ... listen to it... which means going forward anyway and checking things out. You won't get out of going forward. You can, however, put in a jackline ...
Old 29-09-2011, 16:33   #7

Thanks for the advice

The problem here is that I am rather unexperienced, havent even sailed a 100 nm yet. And the other night I was coming to my mooring (I have a bouy on a sheltered Island) so I went forward to pull the jib down, as just releasing the line does not do the trick, when the wave of a massive motor yatch left me half hunging out.

So I have decided to invest in safety.

Cheers
Old 29-09-2011, 16:52   #8

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Looking for the Right Furler

In the meantime rig a jib downhaul. Cheap and dirty and it works.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 17:52   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the advice

The problem here is that I am rather unexperienced, havent even sailed a 100 nm yet. And the other night I was coming to my mooring (I have a bouy on a sheltered Island) so I went forward to pull the jib down, as just releasing the line does not do the trick, when the wave of a massive motor yatch left me half hunging out.

So I have decided to invest in safety.

Cheers
Until you get there, put a downhaul on. Easy, cheap to do -- it's just a line. You can use it for something else afterward. Gets the sail down fast and safe.
Old 29-09-2011, 19:45   #10

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I can definitely 2nd (or 3rd+) using a halyard downhaul on a small boat. When I re-rigged my Monty-17, I made the jib halyard long enough so that the tail became the downhaul. Solved the whole storing 2 tails, or forgetting to loosen things up first. You do have to run the downhaul through (or ending at) the top hank or pulling down will jam.
tenchiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 19:57   #11

you see, that is why newbies post, b'cos we just haven't been around long enough....

Awesome idea guys, it took me a while to figure out what all the technical jargon meant (had to do some search on Internet....) but images are worth a thousand words, and I have seen some examples now.

I am buying the blocks and line this weekend.

Cheers
Andres

Tags
furler