Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 12:19   #1

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'
Lewmar electric convert: is 2-manual/1-electric strong enough?

It has taken a remarkable amount of time to discover that the electric conversion kit for a Two-Speed (#40) EVO winch IS NOT A TWO SPEED CONVERSION. That fact seems well hidden.

(true also for the factory "two Speed Electric". Its not really two speed and they disguise that ! !

The #40 kit has ONLY ONE SPEED. So they say it "gives you two-speed-manual and one-speed-electric".

QUESTION: Does that single speed electric run in the high speed mode or the low speed (power) mode?

I am doing this conversion because I need more power to lift a heavy mainsail rig. I am afraid that if the electric runs only at high speed, it won't have enough power.

It appears that the Harken winch has TRUE TWO-SPEED capability. Hence it has two switches - one slow, one high speed.

Should I ditch the lewmar and buy a new Harken winch so I actually get two speed electric ? ?

Feeling deceived.
-curt
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 03:47   #2

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56
Re: Lewmar electric convert: is 2-manual/1-electric strong enough?

I vote ditch the Lewmar and go Harken or Lewmar Ocean. The EVO electric winches have a plastic top cap versus the the Lewmar Ocean winches which have a stainless top. 2 of our winches were replaced in Sept with Lewmar 65 EVO electric and the first time used the plastic top popped off and broke. Our line was 16mm which was the largest allowed but it is still one that can be used. We have been waiting since November for the replacement caps from Lewmar which are now backordered. We have one Lewmar Ocean 55 with the stainless top which has lasted 20 years.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 16:24   #3

Boat: GEMINI Legacy 35x loa37' x 14'

Waiting for parts from Lewmar? Join the crowd.

Each part I have ordered has had a four to eight month lead time. No alternatives.

This crappy service reflects a culture IMO.

No more Lewmar for me. None.
Curtwpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:15   #4

Location: Brisbane Australia, heading west after cyclone season
Boat: 2015 Hylas 56

We have Anvil electric winches now which are really 2 speed. High speed and low speed. All stainless too. No plastic piece on top. Take a look at those before buying Lewmar.
Ardens2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, lewmar