Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2014, 15:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Leech Line Length

Long story short, I have been using what was the "spare" main for the past few months. To my delight, the spare, although not lose footed, has a great shape.

The question is that the leech line is long enough to go all the way down the leech, through the clew and to the tack- with slack for a loop.

Why would the leech be that long?

The sail was built to accomodate a Dutchman system, if that makes a difference. I am not using the Dutchman system as the rest of the hardware was not on board.

Any insight into the extra-extra long leech line will be appreciated.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 09:28   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Leech Line Length

Probably so that leech could be adjusted at the mast, while on any point of sail.
Old 13-12-2014, 11:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Blue Stocking

Thanks. That was my first guess, but there were no blocks. And how often do you adjust the leech??? Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 13-12-2014, 21:10   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The leech line is to stop the leech from fluttering which can ruin the sail. I should be kept as loose as possible but just tight enough so there is no flutter.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 21:57   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

How tight's going to depend on the cut of the sail, & especially how baggy it is. You don't want the leech fluttering, as that'll destroy the sail (how fast depends on wind speed). But creating a cup in the leech, because the line's too tight will slow you down. Not to mention; look fugly, & make it harder to trim the sail properly, as the cup will affect the tell tales from flying properly.

Some of how often you need to adjust it, again, goes to the cut & bagginess of the sail, & how much it changes shape when you change the main's trim settings. And or angle to the wind.
Also, it's likely that it'll need tuning when you reef. Although with this, to some degree it depends upon how savvy the sailmaker was, & what little tricks they may or may not have used when the sail was made. So that there's less need to adjust it when tucking in, or shaking out a reef.

On the fact that there are no blocks there for adjustment. Depending on the sail's size; you can add some blocks, add a small cleat for the line, or add a double sided Velcro tab like on a surfboard leash's cuff.
The part which attaches to the leech line is typically attached to a 2" wide tab, say 9"-12" long, & has Velcro "hooks" on one side, & "loops" on the other. And the sail has a corresponding Velcro panel on it, as well as a 12" flap with the other "side" of the Velcro on it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 07:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Okay adjusting the leech for reefs kinda makes sense.

I redid the boom end reefing line on my boat. Once the main is reefed, the "reefed clew" is on the boom, with plenty of out haul. The main still has a nice shape with a single reef, and decent with a double reef.

Once again, my thanks
Old 14-12-2014, 07:18   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

No problem, you're welcome.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote