Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 15:40   #16

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Knot to attach float to mooring rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I'd put an Alpine Butterfly in the main line and an appropriate hitch to attach the float. You could use a Halyard Hitch or a Prusik for example depending on the situation.

You beat me to it by 11 minutes!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 16:14   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

you guys are wa-a-a-a-y to scientific.....for an instance like this, I would go for the tried and true " granny" knot...which is simply a series of overhand knots until you run out of line...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 16:16   #18

This is from a book titled The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework by Geoffrey Budworth.

Seems to me that a constrictor knot might also work for this purpose.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 16:29   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
you guys are wa-a-a-a-y to scientific.....for an instance like this, I would go for the tried and true " granny" knot...which is simply a series of overhand knots until you run out of line...
IOW, go with the old adage: If you can't tie a Knot - tie a Lot
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 16:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
This is from a book titled The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework by Geoffrey Budworth.

Yep, I overlooked that one. AKA ABOK#1680. (1681 on are similar knots)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

I have several knot books (I get them for xmas, in addition to the usual leatherman multi tool knife)....knots beautifully illustrated and detailed to the n th degree on how to tie a specific knot or knots, with instructions by an obvious expert in this field.

I get lost in the flowery language used to describe a particular knot. I can't imagine myself for a moment telling anyone on my boat to tie an Alpine Butterfly knot. I know I will be met with a blank stare....."say what again ???"

Hats off to the old salts that have come up with some pretty ingenious ways to tie (and untie) a knot. I can only imagine the many hours, days, weeks, months or years even, that some old salt sat on deck trying to come up with a better way to tie knot.

I have a book on fishing knots much in the same genre as above. There must be several dozen ways to tie a fishing line to a hook, or tie two lines together. These too, have some impressive names.

Despite all this, I sadly, but freely, admit, that even after spending 40 some years afloat, my knot tying repertoire is perhaps limited to three or four knots.

It is simply not in my genes to pull out a book to decide how to to tie something together, that I may only tie once in a lifetime. In this regards, I go with StuM's advice.....so far so good...
Old 23-01-2022, 01:44   #22

Boat: ETAP 22

Thanks,
I do tend to over think things
But I have lots of ideas now.
I'd rather not tie loops in the line as it is the right length already and I dont want to shorten it
I thought of splicing the thin lines in after comments here but then remembered that it would be good to be able to remove them

I will look at the various suggestions and use one of them

How do you navigate ABOK? The public domain version I downloaded doesnt have an index or table of contents

Thank you all very much
Malagueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 05:28   #23
Marine Service Provider

Removing or untying a knot is the "secret" to a good knot, untying it " quickly" gets bonus points.....especially a knot used to take a heavy load, etc....the classic "bowline" is exemplary here.
Old 23-01-2022, 06:53   #24

there is a wide assortment of gripper hitches and constrictor knots, most of which would work well. The functional differences between them in this application would be small.

Sewing and/or whipping could work well - would not shorten the main line and easy to cut the stitching if you want to move/remove.

Personally - If I wanted something quick and easy, sort of temporary, I would probably either icicle hitch it, or put a loop in the end of the thin line and prusik or Klemheist it to the big line. If I wanted something more permanent I would sew/whip, perhaps with a tuck or two.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2022, 07:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

icicle hitch it, or put a loop in the end of the thin line and prusik or Klemheist it

here is the problem...simple as that..
Old 23-01-2022, 12:07   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Make an intermediate loop from cord or webbing. Tie it on the mooring line with an icicle hitch. Tie your float line to the loop. Quick, easily adjusted, easy to remove. I use the same method to tie my bridle to my anchor line.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 06:52   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

If I understand your question correctly you are trying to securely tie a light line to the mid point of a larger line. If that’s the case I highly recommend the midshipmen’s hitch, also known as a “camel hitch”, from its use for trying circus camels’ bridle ropes to a long rope holding them all along a line. The midshipmen’s hitch got it’s name from the fact that it is a very handy non-slip hitch and is easily tied and untied, hence very useful for newly acquired midshipmen, in their early stages of training, to learn. Also makes a secure adjustable loop.

Hard to describe in words. It’s similar to a rolling hitch, but with more turns. Three wraps towards the larger rope, then finished with two half hitches behind (away from the larger rope). Great knot to know.

I hope this is what you intended.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:19   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I recommended an icicle but now realize that the knot I actually use is a prusik. https://www.animatedknots.com/prusik-knot
It is superior because it resists sliding in both directions, and because it uses a loop (no bitter end) cannot work loose underwater as some of thes other knots surely can.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 08:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The question is, I think, tying the smaller line into the middle of the thicker line, not at it's end. Thus the sheet bend(s) are not appropriate.

I'm no ropework expert, but I'd likely use something like a rolling hitch with the free end of the lighter line stitched down to keep it from relaxing and coming off. There are likely more elegant solutions... SWL, where are you?

Jim
Here's a diagram of the rolling hitch:
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/sev...ts-for-sailors
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 17:57   #30

Clove hitch and a half hitch lock. And i usually add a zip tie though the last half hitch.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot, loa, mooring, rope