Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 14:45   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Jib Halyard Pennant Re-Rig in Dyneema

Decided to replace my tired old, pig tailed, wire rope jib halyard pennant by making a new one up in 3/16" Dyneema (about the same diameter as the cable). The current pennant runs from the upper swivel on a ProFurl furler over an in-mast sheave, exits a slot a few feet above the mast base to an adjustable track on the side of the mast. There is an eye in each end. The swivel end has a stainless thimble siezed into and a plastic stopper that rests on the swage for the eye (picture attached). The other end is just a swaged eye with no thimble, it fits over a post on a car on the track which can then be used to tension the pennant.

Whats puzzling me is that plastic stopper. Does it serve any purpose related to the ProFurl furler? The swivel butts up against an end fitting at the top of the extrusions. This end fitting not only stops the hoist of the swivel, but also has a notch in it that prevents the pennant from wrapping around the forestay when the furling rotates (99% of the time at least...it failed to do that once...thus the pig tail). Does the plastic stopper some how work with this end fitting too?

The stopper could be there just to prevent the pennant from being pulled into the mast, but thats not normally necessary since its attached by a shackle thru the eye to the swivel.

Any ProFul Pros (...or knowledgeable Amatures) who know the purpose of this stopper?

Open to suggestions regarding the make up of this pennant too...chafe protection? UV protection?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 14:47   #2

Re: Jib Halyard Pennant Re-Rig in Dyneema

Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441921682293.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	108813  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18   #3

Boat: S & S 43'

Hi Belize sailor
No, it is nothing Profurl that I know of. The first problem you have is that the luff of your sail is too long if it stops at the wrapstop. But to do that it must have already broken the crescent moon shaped Ali piece that holds the top bearing in place.
There is nothing wrong with using the dyneema to replace the wire but I would go 1 size larger.
Take look at the luff length before you go any further. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 13:38   #4

Incorrect statement on my part, the swivel does not actually contact the wrap stop at full hoist. This is the original sail and the dimensions are fine...other than being a bit old and saggy of course. Just puzzling over the line stopper purpose. I assume it somehow interacts with the wrap stop...so I will include a stopper in the new rigging just in case.

Tags
dyneema, halyard, jib