Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 08:43   #1

Jib furler and double forestays?

The boat that i am looking to buy has double forestays (photo).
Is it okay to install a genoa furler on one of them or i need to re-rig to a single forestay?

Aldis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 10:12   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Jib furler and double forestays?

Last week I passed a boat on the dock that had double headstays arranged like that. First time I'd seen one, but I guess they are out there. Both headstays had continuous line furlers on them. I would imagine that a regular (single line) furler drum might be too big to fit. I'm not sure I've ever seen a continuous line fuller on a stay with a rigid foil before, but looking around I see Facnor offers one.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If one was rolled up and the other deployed, wouldn't the sheets of the stowed one interfere with the open one? Even if only one had a furler, it seems the other wire would chafe on the sail when sailing large.
What you have here is a perfect opportunity not to waste money on roller furlers, but to try out the increasingly rare double-headsail arrangement for going dead downwind.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:01   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If one was rolled up and the other deployed, wouldn't the sheets of the stowed one interfere with the open one? It may be possible to tie off unused sheets at the bow so they are out of the way.

Even if only one had a furler, it seems the other wire would chafe on the sail when sailing large. This seems an issue with the double headstay arrangement if using furlers or not. Maybe less an issue with furlers as there may be less chafe between a furled sail and a deployed sail than between a bare stay and a sail?

What you have here is a perfect opportunity not to waste money on roller furlers, but to try out the increasingly rare double-headsail arrangement for going dead downwind. He can do that without or with furlers. I have a genoa and a code 0 on a sprit, both on furlers, and often fly them wing on wing. It is not exactly the same but similar.

I'm not a fan of this double headstay arrangement but maybe it is OK. If it were me I'd have a conversation with a rigger and a sailmaker about the pros and cons of keeping it versus converting to a single headstay, and if keeping the best way to use it.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, jib