Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2020, 18:46   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Is 4.8 oz cloth too light for a mainsail(27 feet albin vega)

Hi , i am shopping around for a new main. One candidate is only 4.8 oz but rest of the stuff is good.
its challenge matrix, the cut of the sail is radial.
My boat displaced 6k lb, though, where i sail is winds are on the bit light side. Sure i like to sail hard but i figure i can use the original main sail i have for this type of winds(i don't know the weight, its 40+ year old)
The sail is originally designed for a boat that displaces half of what mine does. Price is really good, brand new sail. He already sold the boat so willing to let go for $400. Two reef points..I mean its really tempting but i can't visualize how thin is 4.8 OZ. Is it going to be a see through?
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 19:28   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Is 4.8 oz cloth too light for a mainsail(27 feet albin vega)

If you sail in an area where light winds prevail and have no intention of testing the limits you will be fine. Day sailing does not require bluewater capable sails.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 09:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
If you sail in an area where light winds prevail and have no intention of testing the limits you will be fine. Day sailing does not require bluewater capable sails.
Thanks. Well, its a cruising sailboat...Yes the local winds are light but i should be able to call this new main at least a little bit "all around". I am under the impression that a true bluewater main for such boat should be at least 6.5 OZ. but i have no plans to hit the deep blue anytime soon. Currently i have this tired main, it has no holes or damage but sure its showing his age, most likely blown, no defined shape.
At the same time i don't want to end up with something that i can't use. Still debating.
Old 19-03-2020, 10:24   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Not trying to be rude, but look around. Did a very quick look and found this one on ebay that is 6oz.
I'm sure there are more options.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 10:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Not trying to be rude, but look around. Did a very quick look and found this one on ebay that is 6oz.
I'm sure there are more options.
Thank you and you are not being rude at all. I have seen that add. For that price, i can order from a well known far east sail loft. Looking for a bargain to be honest. I have a main that i can sail around, and not going around the world..So if i find something priced low, i would buy. Otherwise i will wait.
If my main was shredded, it would be different.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:03   #6

Could check w/Baconsails. They have both used and new sails.

That said buying a used sail is usually that great of a deal. Yes, it may be better than what you have currently, but for a good used sail its usually a relatively high percentage of a new one.

A long time ago it was worth putting new motors in cars to keep them going. Putting a new main on a boat is analogous to putting a new motor in an old car. Hard to explain the difference, but once you do it, you'll understand.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:05   #7

Quote:
Could check w/Baconsails. They have both used and new sails.

That said buying a used sail is usually that great of a deal. Yes, it may be better than what you have currently, but for a good used sail its usually a relatively high percentage of a new one.

A long time ago it was worth putting new motors in cars to keep them going. Putting a new main on a boat is analogous to putting a new motor in an old car. Hard to explain the difference, but once you do it, you'll understand.
Bacon don't have any used and i am trying to stay away from used sails since its hard to distinguish between a good sail, and what appears to be good but blown.(To me at least)
I am car guy so i understand your point, as a matter of fact, i initiated few quote requests for main. And surprisingly, the price difference may not worth to settle with something that you can't be 100% sure. So you r right.
Old 19-03-2020, 13:13   #8

If you are willing to wait for a boat show to come around your area, typically can get 20-25% off. If you hit a Fall boat show don't expect your sail until next Spring.

Anything coming for overseas will take more time especially now w/businesses shutting down and shipping of non-essentials being less priority. Many "US" sail lofts are cut/assembled overseas, so you may want to ask about this if getting quotes.
Old 19-03-2020, 18:47   #9

Quote:
If you are willing to wait for a boat show to come around your area, typically can get 20-25% off. If you hit a Fall boat show don't expect your sail until next Spring.

Anything coming for overseas will take more time especially now w/businesses shutting down and shipping of non-essentials being less priority. Many "US" sail lofts are cut/assembled overseas, so you may want to ask about this if getting quotes.
Thank you. F^%k it. I am going with a new one. I will be really pissed if i die before i hoist that main because of this korona thing.

Tags
Albin Vega, mainsail, sail