Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2019, 12:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46'
Installing/Replacing ProFurl Halyard Swivel

I recently bought a replacement Halyard Swivel for my C430 ProFurl furling system. I would like to know if anyone has ever installed one from the bottom by removing the forestay and taking off the drum. I have to take the drum off anyways to replace the furling line. I understand this is usually done at the top of the mast but I prefer the bottom if possible.
Blackacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:32   #2

Re: Installing/Replacing ProFurl Halyard Swivel

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	204912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	204913  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	204914  
Old 12-12-2019, 13:13   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we did this just few days ago on a Facnor furler, which basically the same as profurl (in fact i think profurl now own Facnor - our nw swivel is a profurl, and a much more substantial piece of kit too !)

anyway, the riggers who did the work removed the drum and put the new swivel on from the bottom. did not take long...2 guys who obviously knew what they were doing did it in about half an hour

naturally took a couple of halyards down to the bows to restrain the mast when forestay was released, and we all prayed hard that all bolts etc came out without stripping / snapping (they did). otherwise, just follow the process

good luck !

cheers,
chrisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 13:28   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I think that you should be able to get the swivel to slide off from the bottom. But this would be a good time to replace your fore stay. I would recommend the turnbuckle cylinder option so that you can have a fore stay length adjustment. To do this job you will need to rig your spinnaker halyard as a temporary fore stay and lash your jib halyard to the furling tube with a rolling hitch (or similar) to keep the tube from sliding down. Then slack off the backstay. Also a good time to check or replace the stem fitting (chainplate)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 15:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I think that you should be able to get the swivel to slide off from the bottom. But this would be a good time to replace your fore stay. I would recommend the turnbuckle cylinder option so that you can have a fore stay length adjustment. To do this job you will need to rig your spinnaker halyard as a temporary fore stay and lash your jib halyard to the furling tube with a rolling hitch (or similar) to keep the tube from sliding down. Then slack off the backstay. Also a good time to check or replace the stem fitting (chainplate)
Thanks. I had the forestay replaced a 6 months ago. Looking at the pictures it doesn't look new. I plan on cleaning that up during the process.
Old 13-12-2019, 11:19   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Not having installed your fuller for some time, I don't remember how the slot to to raise the sail is designed, some have a fitting if you will to clean up the luff tab entrance, if so, obviously the swivel will not pass.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 12:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Not having installed your fuller for some time, I don't remember how the slot to to raise the sail is designed, some have a fitting if you will to clean up the luff tab entrance, if so, obviously the swivel will not pass.
That's a good point. I'll check the gate before I start but it looks like the swivel will pass over it without getting snagged.

Tags
halyard