Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 07:52   #1

Installing hanks on luff tape???

I picked up a nice 1.5 ounce drifter for my 34 foot boat, but it is for a luff groove and I have all hank on. My question is if the luff tape would be strong enough to just put grommets and hanks? This is a sail that will never be up in more than 8 or 10 knots of wind, so I dont know if I really need to sew in a luff rope or not? Any sailmakers out there that have done this? Thanks for the help. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 14:45   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Installing hanks on luff tape???

You can also just sew webbing loops onto the sail... I've done this successfully in the past. IMO, this spreads the loads from the hank a bit better than grommets, and does no harm to the sail.

Jim
Old 14-06-2018, 19:41   #3

Jim, that sounds interesting. Do you sew a loop to the luff tape and then sieze the hank to that or do you mean something other than regular hanks? I think I like this idea. Thanks, ____Grant.
Old 14-06-2018, 20:49   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

No, the webbing loop simply goes through the bail on the hank and back to the sail. One side of the loop on each side of the sail, stitch through both at once. Can be machine stitched if a suitable machine is available, but I've always just hand stitched with waxed sail twine.

Jim
Old 15-06-2018, 09:44   #5

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I find it works better to split the legs of the loop at about 30deg. Spreads the load more and makes it easier to sew. Look at the main, it may have the same system for attaching the slides.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:21   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I have converted a Luff tape to hanks, simply by installing grommet's and seizing on hank's, as per the sail loft [North].
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:50   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
I have converted a Luff tape to hanks, simply by installing grommet's and seizing on hank's, as per the sail loft [North].

Same here. For several years I got used racer's grade sails (one or two seasons and they weren't happy with composites, or had new but obsolete Dacrons in their garages), and got them cut and "converted" to hanks for about $150 each at my sailmaker's over the winter when they had time for small jobs. I had one No. 1 in Kevlar that equalled about a 148% genoa that lasted 10 years the way I used it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 18:02   #8

I am having a hard time visualizing how sewing a strap/loop with it running thru the hank would not put the hank vertical instead of horizontal like they normally are. What am I missing? Grant.
Old 16-06-2018, 05:32   #9

Have you thought about using the plastic hanks that dinghies use?

For light airs, and after all you can use as many as you want, they should be more than adequate.
You may find that you can't get them big enough to fit your forestay and luff rope. My quick search came up with ones from Allen, forestay 5mm, luff wire 6mm. I didn't look further.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:25   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I am having a hard time visualizing how sewing a strap/loop with it running thru the hank would not put the hank vertical instead of horizontal like they normally are. What am I missing? Grant.
Grant,
You are correct, the hanks are normally fixed into a grommet (turning it 90 degrees) for the alignment of the hank to the wire. While I liked the simplicity of sewing on a loop instead of putting in grommets, the hanks would not be in proper alignment and most likely cause a lot of drag.

While installing grommets are a bit of a pain, it may be the easiest solution, then add either, bronze, plastic or even spectra hanks. Possibly install less than one would have on a jib, you can always add more if needed.

On our previous boat we had a hank on drifter and we loved it.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 18:10   #11

I already have 7 or 8 large hanks, so I think that is enough for a light air sail. I was only worried about the luff tape being strong enough, since they normally have the load spread evenly. I still cant visualize how to get the hanks at 90 degrees to the luff with sewing tape, so I will probably go to my local sailmaker and get grommets put in. Thanks to all. _____Grant.