Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 06:18   #1

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
In-mast or in-boom?

Getting nearer to the point of having to make a clear decision as to which way to go.

New Passport 615. Hydraulics will run several systems. I've done as much research and talked with as many people as I can about their experience and thoughts on which system to use.

I received a communication from the boat builder. Even though it's my decision to make, he is VERY STRONGLY recommending the in-mast approach. He made a couple comments about the in-boom system being unsafe and difficult the handle.

In the research I've done, the Leisurefurl systems seems to have may advantages. I understand on a run if you choose to reef or bring the main in completely you have to follow certain proceedures. I've talked to people using it and they said it didn't take them more then a few days to master that aspect of it. In all other points of sail, it's a breeze to bring in.

Some of the points I like about the boom systems are that when it's in the boom, the weight remains low. also, the sail shape is much better. The big reason I love it is that even if you have a jam or power failure, you can manually drop the sail like a non automated one. You would never be in serious trouble with a jam like a mast ststem. I know they are rare these days but with all the other advantages I can see regarding a boat this size, I feel the boom systems would be the better choice.

Thoughts please? Why would the boat builder say they are dangerous?

Mike
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:15   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I think you are right, does the boatbuilder gey a kickback from the mast maker, is he an experienced offshore sailor or a boatbuilder.
Keep asking questions, find people who have used them.
Or go to slab reefing with a big grunty winch
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:29   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Is this the Leisurefurl with the furler at the end of the boom?
Old 21-01-2007, 13:04   #4

Mike, I am new at sailing and I'm still gathering information on boats, masts, and booms, but, I do like the booms better than the masts. I've talked to a few people who've had masts or booms. I still prefer the booms, they're safer and easier to get down if there's a problem. I don't know why your boat builder said what he did about booms. Most people like the booms better from what I've heard.
haloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 13:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloman
Mike, I am new at sailing and I'm still gathering information on boats, masts, and booms, but, I do like the booms better than the masts. I've talked to a few people who've had masts or booms. I still prefer the booms, they're safer and easier to get down if there's a problem. I don't know why your boat builder said what he did about booms. Most people like the booms better from what I've heard.
Having only owned boats with both mast & boom, but sailed wishbone rigs, with mast only - I wonder how a "boom only" rig would work.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 13:46   #6
Eternal Member

Mike,

Your boatbuilder is all wet. In-boom furlers, most especially the LeisureFurl, are to be preferred for all the reasons you list, and more. Schaefer's are also pretty good, I've heard.

I installed a LeisureFurl system 3 years ago on my Perry-designed 42' sloop. Love it.

In-mast furlers are the ones which are unsafe, particularly the smaller ones. The really large ones on the megayachts seem to have less problems, maybe because they tend to have big, professional crews :-) Have an acquaintance who's got one on his new 49-footer, and is seriously wanting to swap it for a Leisure Furl system despite the high cost.

Be happy to answer any specific questions, but you've got it right the first time :-)

BTW, pix of my system can be seen here: http://gallery.wdsg.com

Click around a bit for "Bill's Albums" and the "Maine Trip". Some other pix show it as well.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 14:26   #7

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Nice photos Bill. You and your clan have clearly had some adventures.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 15:34   #8
Eternal Member

Thanks, Larry.

Hoping to get up past your way again this summer enroute to/from Maine. Really enjoyed NE sailing, having done very little of it in the past.

FLASH: BEARS JUST BEAT THE SAINTS 39-14 AND HEADED TO THE SUPERBOWL!

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 18:45   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
My choice: Neither! Persoanlly, I would rather have slab furling main with a stack pack / lazy jacks. Each to their own though.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast