Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 13:04   #1

In-Mast Furler

I am considering purchasing a Corbin 39 that has been fitted with an inmast furler system. Ultimately I want to take the boat offshore/circumnavigate. Is it possible to convert the inmast to a regular mast with a mainsail that I can readily reef, or would I have to take the mast down and totally replace it?
eyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 13:22   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
It really depends on the mast and you're the only one that knows what it's like. Does it have a sailtrack? Are there sheaves for an external main halyard? Most Corbins were kit boats and the rigging varies greatly. If you are buying this boat have the surveyor check this out. You certainly will not have to replace the mast but might have to modify it by adding a sailtrack etc. You will need to drastically modify the sail too or better still get a new main.
Old 10-08-2009, 14:47   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
you'll get better info if you tell us who built the mast. For example, Seldon masts are built with a luff track to port of the mainsail slot.

One thing to be wary of is that once you take the main out of the mast, it becomes a whistler. While there's a fix for this, it will take up one of your halyards.

Also, be aware that a furling mast is heavier than a conventional mast. Even once you cross one over to conventional hoisting, you'll still be paying the penalty in terms of weight aloft.
Old 10-08-2009, 16:38   #4

in mast furler

Thanks for the info. I will be checking out the Corbin in question in a couple of weeks, after which I may have some more info to pick your brains.
eyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 22:15   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Also, be aware that a furling mast is heavier than a conventional mast. Even once you cross one over to conventional hoisting, you'll still be paying the penalty in terms of weight aloft.
Heavier, but also the cross section is much larger than that of a conventional mast, increasing the windage a lot.

We too, were once looking at a boat that unfortunately had in-mast furling and after some research we concluded that it is not economical to change it as you would need another, standard mast. Or live with the weight and windage which is not good for a blue water sailer!

So, our search continued and I am glad it did!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, mast