Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2020, 08:32   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
In-mast furled main bangs inside of mast

When a swell rocks our anchored boat at a certain harmonic, the mainsail that is furled on the Seldon mast will sometimes thump back an forth inside the mast. Is this normal or does something in the furling system need adjusting?
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: In-mast furled main bangs inside of mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
When a swell rocks our anchored boat at a certain harmonic, the mainsail that is furled on the Seldon mast will sometimes thump back an forth inside the mast. Is this normal or does something in the furling system need adjusting?
Yes, you need to tension the furling rod inside the mast. It's easy, have a look at the manual or pdf on the Selden site
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:45   #3

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

Exactly this happened on my rig as well. As De.windhoos says what you need to do is to tension it, it is probably just a bit loose. A detailed description how to do it is available on Seldens site for most of the models.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:47   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Be aware that tensioning it, a bit like tensioning your genoa halyard may make it a little more difficult to furl and unfurl.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 15:31   #5

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

I will tension the furler a bit a see if that helps. The furling process has also been a bit touchy so maybe it will help with that also.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:54   #6

Boat: Hylas 54

In our Selden mast , when the mainsail is loaded it does not seem to bang. But when we take the mainsail off the furler for repairs or season storage the furler definitely bangs about inside the mast with the slightest bob of the boat. Very annoying. We have tried to stabilize the furler by running the halyard swivel half way up the spar and then using a line to pull the furler aft in the mast. This helps but the furler still moves laterally and makes noise, which reverberates right down the mast.

I am wondering if it needs tightening. But I think even if tensioned more it is still going to bang when there is no sail on the furler. Anyone have any ideas?
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:03   #7

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

Here is a good explanation of the procedure for tensioning the furling rod:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...urling.175456/
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:06   #8

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

Hobiehobie,
My Catalina 34 bangs terribly with the mainsail off. The PO used pipe foam, top one on the halyard with a tagline to bring down. I made from wood a t shaped piece to fit the sail opening, screwed a 1/4 inch plywood piece to keep in place, drilled 2 holes for a short length of 1/4 line, that went around the foil, held that in place with a lag screw and fender washer, eye bolts and lengths of line. Think I made 4, run them up with the halyard, each on a lines equally spaced to hold the foil in the mast with the 1/4 inch lines, It really is much simpler than my description. When not in use I keep it in a bucket with the top tied to one side and the bottom to the other. FWIW some Benitue owners just leave the main on all winter, their claim is that it's out of the sun and weather inside the mast, does seem to work.
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:15   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

I got all paranoid after reading about how the fuller could undo its self if the locking screw is not fixed properly. So I just checked. My locking screw and sleeve are fine but presently with the mainsail off the foil is banging around as previously described. The Selden manual seems to suggest it is too loose if you can bang the fuller into the mast sides from pushing the foil from the top inspection hole. Which I can do. However as my set up is locked as the Selden qualified rigger intended (in 2019) I am loathe to make it tighter util I have put the main back up and tested how it does. My rationale for this is that my mast has a significant afterward bend in the top third of the mast, and thus making the fuller any tighter might actually cause the furling rod to sit too tight on the aft inside surface of the mast, particularly at the top. Maybe masts intended to have significant aftward flexion have to leave the fuller looser than masts that are straighter when rigged?
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:11   #10

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat34shamrock View Post
Hobiehobie,
My Catalina 34 bangs terribly with the mainsail off. The PO used pipe foam, top one on the halyard with a tagline to bring down. I made from wood a t shaped piece to fit the sail opening, screwed a 1/4 inch plywood piece to keep in place, drilled 2 holes for a short length of 1/4 line, that went around the foil, held that in place with a lag screw and fender washer, eye bolts and lengths of line. Think I made 4, run them up with the halyard, each on a lines equally spaced to hold the foil in the mast with the 1/4 inch lines, It really is much simpler than my description. When not in use I keep it in a bucket with the top tied to one side and the bottom to the other. FWIW some Benitue owners just leave the main on all winter, their claim is that it's out of the sun and weather inside the mast, does seem to work.

Hobiehobie, can you provide a photo or sketch of this rig?
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post

I am wondering if it needs tightening. But I think even if tensioned more it is still going to bang when there is no sail on the furler. Anyone have any ideas?

I hoist a old 3/4" line when the sail is removed, then spin the furler thereby spiraling the line like a candy cane stripe....you'll never hear it bang again.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:25   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

After your main is furled in and the furling line secure, make sure you add a bit of tension to the outhaul. That should help stop some of the banging.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast