Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 08:08   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: In Boom Furling experiences?

Re Leisurefurl, you don't need to head up to reef it. You do need to unload the sail and the boom can't be more than 45º off centre. Instructions here: http://www.leisurefurl.com/pdf/Frspr...027%202014.pdf

The electric winch may not be absolutely required, but does make life a lot easier. Bought my boat with it, so not certain of the cost, but I'm under the impression that they're very pricey - about $30K (boat is 47').

Never had problems with the furling line chafing, but the point about boom angle is valid. I was generally less fussy when reefing, but when dropping the sail we took the time to point into the wind and set the boom angle (for us it was 4-6 inches above the bimini).
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20   #17

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Good thread and of great interest to me. We have bought a Wright 10 in Auckland equipped with a LeisureFurl boom and it seems to work wonderfully. That's in limited experience -- so far I have only sailed her for about a week.

One question. When I look at the current ads for LeisureFurl, they say that the furling can be done from the cockpit. On my boat, you have to go to the mast and crank it down.

Is the cockpit procedure a matter of how the system is rigged, or were there different models? If the latter, can it be retro-fitted? I sent a note to LeisureFurl but haven't had a reply yet.

Obviously, I'd prefer to be able to furl from the cockpit (I like to be able to do everything from the cockpit because I'm chicken).

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:26   #18

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

I have always wondered how one tensions the outhaul when reefed on an in boom furler.
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
One question. When I look at the current ads for LeisureFurl, they say that the furling can be done from the cockpit. On my boat, you have to go to the mast and crank it down.

Is the cockpit procedure a matter of how the system is rigged, or were there different models? If the latter, can it be retro-fitted? I sent a note to LeisureFurl but haven't had a reply yet.

Obviously, I'd prefer to be able to furl from the cockpit (I like to be able to do everything from the cockpit because I'm chicken).
There should be a furling line from drum on the mast that can (and should be) led to the cockpit beside the main halyard.

For the OP, found an old article - may be of use: In-Boom Furling - Web Only Article
Seems my numbers may be off - might be including labour and associated bits (new sail, electric winch).
Old 06-11-2016, 08:33   #20
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

great to hear from people with experience using these furlers, good or bad.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:36   #21

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
There should be a furling line from drum on the mast that can (and should be) led to the cockpit beside the main halyard.
Previous owners might have removed it. I'll take a look at the manual and current set-up when I get there in about 5 weeks.

During my limited time aboard I just did what the PO did.

Thanks

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:08   #22

Boat: KP 46

I was Captain/Project manager on a 154' Bruce King ketch built at at Hodgdon in Maine, I used Southern Spars in NZ to build the two carbon fiber spars. The Main was 200'. I used Rondal in boom furling. The main and mizzen would wind up on a mandrel inside the boom. I had nothing but trouble with it. in order for it to work properly the booms needed to be exactly perpendicular with the mast, each mast had a little light to indicate it was perpendicular. The sails would rarely wind up correctly. Twice the luff tape fouled on hoisting and tore. it was never easy to furl or reef either sail. It was designed to be a convienience because of the large sails, but it was a liabilty and I would not do it again.

If you are coastal cruising or sunday sailing it may be something you might want but if you are counting on using your sails to get you someplace in good and bad weather I would not recommend it. Harken cars, or Strong System work always. Jiffy or slab reefing works, always.

Hope this helps,
Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26   #23

As I mentioned before
Boom to Mast angle is critical
Leisure Furl specs are 87 degrees, Exactly
You give up a lot
No Outhaul
No Cunningham
No Vang
The boom is massive and becomes very heavy with the sail on it
so a topping lift is needed in case there is an issue with the
solid vang
We always had a preventer on too.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:01   #24

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Hi,
Our boat has the Leisure Furl system with a 60' mast.
Love it!
Like others say, you need to keep boom angles correct when furling/reefing and unload wind from sail prior to furling. Minimal maintenance needed.
Sometimes the sheets for the headsail will catch on the furling drum when tacking.

Using an electric winch is nice, but be sure to unload wind power from sail, have boom at correct angle, keep all other lines clear, and have clutches in the correct position. Don't ask how I know this.

Makes single-handed sailing in heavier conditions much easier.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:05   #25

Boat: Catalina 400

The Schaefer system came with our boat, previous owners said it was just under $20K (including the solid vang and also installation) on 58' mast.

We love it.

Once, the furling line parted 9' inside the boom, seems crew had not kept tension on furling line while raising the sail (electric winch) due to poor directions from skipper (me). Apparently the furling line got pinched or bound against the drum disc. Expensive line, but not too difficult to re-rig. That's the only issue we've had.

Downwind sailing and storm sailing, no problem. Preventer pretty important, that boom is like a swinging telephone pole. We get peace of mind that we can drop the main even if the furler should jam.

If the boat you are considering has the Schaefer, consider that a big plus, not a minus. According to the Admiral, we will have one on every boat we ever own from now on...
SoundWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:19   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a Pro Furl, came with the boat, was set up incorrectly and I assume it gave the PO fits.
Only thing I would add to the above is that a furling boom is infinitely reefable, meaning you can reef just a tiny bit or almost the entire sail and as many points in between that you want.
I think that makes up for having to turn into the wind to reef.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 15:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
As I mentioned before
Boom to Mast angle is critical
Leisure Furl specs are 87 degrees, Exactly
You give up a lot
No Outhaul
No Cunningham
No Vang
According to Leisurefurl, an outhaul is not necessary, you can tension the luff with the furling line, so a Cunningham is not necessary, and I believe a vang is required.
Old 07-11-2016, 15:58   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipe6 View Post
I have always wondered how one tensions the outhaul when reefed on an in boom furler.
The Leisurefurl is pretty ingenious. The tack and clew are attached to the mandrel with several inches of dyneema lashing, and when you first start to reef the geometry causes these lashings apply more tension to the tack and clew. Also, only the middle portion of the foot is attached to the mandrel, so that middle portion furls first, flattening the belly of the sail. When reefed, the full-length battens also help keep the sail flat.

You don't have all the control of a traditional setup, but the sail shape is really pretty good across the range.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 23:28   #29

Boat: Catalina 470

Thanks guys. Just looked at boat, it has a leisure furl.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
The Leisurefurl is pretty ingenious. The tack and clew are attached to the mandrel with several inches of dyneema lashing, and when you first start to reef the geometry causes these lashings apply more tension to the tack and clew. Also, only the middle portion of the foot is attached to the mandrel, so that middle portion furls first, flattening the belly of the sail. When reefed, the full-length battens also help keep the sail flat.

You don't have all the control of a traditional setup, but the sail shape is really pretty good across the range.
Hmmm, that's what has stopped me so far -- so you have no control over the foot tension once you've reefed?

But you do have control over foot tension, via the outhaul? Or is there no outhaul at all?

I have been thinking about this in connection with a possible new boat, the specification of which I have been trying to formulate ahead of time.

I have Selden in-mast on my present boat, and with vertical battens and a carbon laminate mainsail, it works quite well. Certainly, we are very fast and do not seem to give up much to other boats with regular battened mains.

In-mast furling has some great advantages but also a few drawbacks. The really decisive drawback from my point of view of in-mast furling is lack of roach, so I think I'm leaning towards a normal battened main on the next boat, but I wanted to be sure I hadn't skipped over a possibly better option in the boom furling systems. But if there's no control of foot tension, that won't work for me. That is NOT among the disadvantages of in-mast furling.

Thread drift: If I ever were to have in-mast furling again, it would definitely have a hydraulic or electric furler, rather than the Selden endless line system. The other big drawback of my system is that it is very awkward to use the endless line furler -- it requires two hands, which does not leave a hand free to tension the outhaul, which is essential for smooth furling.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, furling