Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 04:27   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Identify this companionway hatch?

I've tried to identify the manufacturer of my companionway hatch through Googling but no joy. It looks like Lewmar but there is no record of Lewmar ever making something comparable. It's an amazing hatch and I want to see if I can hunt down a few bits so I have them if needed. Also, It appears as though there was once a mechanism/rod for synchonizing the forward and aft levers and I'm hoping I can find a schematic for it.

This is a picture of it with the fiberglass "turtle" removed as I'm in the middle of stripping the deck. It has dogs at the front and back that raise it to slide open and lower it to seal/close/ lock it. They can be operated from both inside and outside.

Anyone recognize it?

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 05:21   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Identify this companionway hatch?

looks very much like an old Goiot...
find the cast-in seagull-emblem anywhere on it?
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 21:11   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

It is absolutely a Goiot. They still make it, and parts are available. OEM for Swan and Wauquiez.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 09:08   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Suijin,
In a related issue, as long as your have your "turtle" removed, why not drill out the mounting holes and fill with thickened epoxy if you haven't already. I did mine about 5 years ago and found several with minimal core damage around the screw holes. Removing mine was quite labor intensive and I wouldn't want to do it again. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 25-03-2017, 09:54   #5

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Jealous that looks like an awesome companion way hatch... Probably cost more than I'd like to pay to buy one though! :-)
Old 25-03-2017, 12:34   #6

"...absolutely a Goiot."
no seagull-logo though...
there were turkish imitations too, u know...
Old 25-03-2017, 12:43   #7

"...absolutely a Goiot."
no seagull-logo though...
there were turkish imitations too, u know...
Old 25-03-2017, 13:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Suijin,
In a related issue, as long as your have your "turtle" removed, why not drill out the mounting holes and fill with thickened epoxy if you haven't already. I did mine about 5 years ago and found several with minimal core damage around the screw holes. Removing mine was quite labor intensive and I wouldn't want to do it again. Good luck and safe sailing.
I'm probably going to do that. Everything on the deck was bedded in 5200, which while it made stuff a bear to remove, did a remarkable job keeping everything sealed for 31 years. The only water penetration I've found is in four holes (out of about 300). One in a stanchion bolt, where it appears that it got bumped the seal broken, and three in screws into deck for a dorade guard that was not bedded in 5200, perhaps because it was added later (the dorade guards appear to be 304).

I'm probably going to rebed the turtle with 5200, as well as the hatch rims because they're relatively easy to get off even with it and it does an incredible job of sealing.

Thanks everyone for the identification. I've been puzzling over it for years. It's an amazing piece of hardware and I feel lucky to have it. It's the only one I've ever seen on a Valiant but is clearly factory installed so I guess it was an option. Interestingly, I think they took a sliding hatch and cut off one end of the bottom frame. Can't find much more info as the Goiot "sliding hatch" section of their website is currently blank.

A Google image search turned up this, which on closer inspection answers something I have puzzled over for years:

The hatch has a forward bar and an aft bar, with ears/tabs on them. Turn the ears and the hatch cover lowers and the gasket locks down onto the frame. Problem is if the bow bar turns while it is under the turtle, the cover won't move and it requires fussing with a stick to poking under there to get it to lift. My solution is just a bit of bungee cord which keeps it from turning on it's own. The picture shows cord from holes in the ends of the dogs (with the plastic bead to keep the force at the right angle, brilliant) so that the front bar operates the rear bar. So I can restore it to it's original design without ordering expensive parts, yay!

One of it's benefits is that it makes the companionway hatch compliant with Safety Equipment Requirements (SER) rules for racing offshore, where the companionway hatch needs to be able to be sealed and locked from one side and opened from the other. I've had to retrofit a few boats for that and it's usually a pain depending on existing hardware. Might jump into a Bermuda race one day.
Old 25-03-2017, 17:24   #9

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

It is Goiot but different than mine. Mine has four latches that hold tabs on the sides of the sliding hatch down when in place.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 18:42   #10

Consider replacing the rubber gasket while the hatch turtle is off.

I have that identical hatch on my foredeck.
Old 25-03-2017, 19:21   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Consider replacing the rubber gasket while the hatch turtle is off.

I have that identical hatch on my foredeck.
I think it's actually in fine shape. It's usually under a dodger so it's much less exposed than the other hatches. I'm pretty sure the glazing is original, and it's 31 years old. But I'll give the gasket a look, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 25-03-2017, 19:39   #12

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30

Bowmar aslo made one just like that. I have one on my boat.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:05   #13

I checked my forward sliding hatch this AM. There is no bird emblem anywhere on it. It was purchased direct from the Goiot distributor and installed by me.
Old 10-03-2019, 23:15   #14

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

I would love to find a hatch like that to replace my wood companionway slider.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I would love to find a hatch like that to replace my wood companionway slider.

Goiot still makes the same hatch or a close variation. Its actually a foredeck hatch but when the factory installed it on my boat they cut out the aft side of the frame lip which you can see in my original photo. So it’s doable but will require some careful design, measuring, and modification.

Two significant benefits. I have a single piece 1/2” acrylic washboard, closely cut to size. When installed and the hatch dogged down the companionway is both almost completely watertight and also extremely secure from break-in. It locks by putting a padlock though a hole on one of the side rails behind a dog arm. Can be similarly locked from inside.

Tags
companionway, hatch