Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 10:47   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
How to save $50 splicing double braid rope

If you don't need to splice double braid polyester rope, ignore this post.

But I just purchased a ton of new rope and I will need to make some eyes or loops for various applications on the boat. I used to have a splicing kit a long time ago, but don't have one now.

When I searched the big marine supply house West Marine I found the kit and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the price: $57.00! This is for 3 or 4 fids and a pusher rod. I was expecting $20 or so. And, even at that price it would be overpriced.

I kept searching and found the fids on Walmart (of all places) for $3.99. Get this: shipping was $5.95. So, shipping was more than the cost of the product itself! But the website said I could pick up the product from my local store for free!

Granted, this kit doesn't come with the pusher rod, but this would be easy to make using an old screw driver, by cutting the tip off and filing the end smooth.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but I can't stand paying nearly 20x the price for something this insignificant. You could also order right from the company (link below) but the shipping cost from them is $7.67. (Still beats $57!)

I picked up the fids just now and they look great. The kit comes with 3 sizes: 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. They should serve for most of my needs.
Splicing Fids (3 pk)
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:11   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: How to save $50 splicing double braid rope

I closed my Port Supply account at Worst Marine years ago. After numerous emails to corporate about their ridiculous pricing, and getting a "too bad" attitude, I'd had enough. When I found I could pay nearly a 10% tax in Seattle at Fisheries, and still be cheaper than the cost thru my PS account, I was done. In addition to that, I found I could purchase electronics from Hodges Marine online, with shipping, for cheaper than the employee price at WM! So not only are they screwing you, they're screwing their own employees! Shame.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:21   #3

Yeah, there's no excuse for bad pricing anymore when we have the internet and many manufacturers will sell directly to the public. Besides, I'd rather give all the money to the people who make the product.

The only thing I worry about is having a supply house in the harbor when something breaks and I need it now or we are stuck ashore.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:25   #4

Yesterday, I ordered three spools of double braid to replace all the running rigging on my "new" boat. The cost was a fraction (.50/ft) of buying from any supply house which often sell it at $0.60/ft or more, plus shipping! I got it directly from the maker with FREE shipping.
Old 02-03-2017, 15:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Don't forget a wand! At around $2per Kg for 2mm "tie wire", I reckon that mine cost me a couple of cents.

(And the ground down point on that old screwdriver is great for initially separating the strands and extracting the core
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wand.jpg
Views:	2291
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	142338  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17   #6

Bigjim, where did you buy the three spools of double-braid?
suenodelmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers
Angry Re: How to save $50 splicing double braid rope

I wished I read that post a few weeks earlier... Would have save some $ for other stuff. Get one kit from Defender. Cheaper than WM, but still. Cannot beat Wallmart for that.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40   #8

I have a high-tech method.
Bend the double strand line around an eye or just leave a loop. Fasten the spliced area say 3 inches as loosely as posible with cable ties. Soak the splice with epoxy diluted with 10% acetone. When the line is thoroughly wetted cinch the cable ties. Bomb-proof. For larger line I whip the spice with small diameter. For eight strand or large diameter 3-strand I taper the bitter end. A variant is to form an eye with just the line, no fitting and epoxy it as well.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:03   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I kept searching and found the fids on Walmart (of all places) for $3.99. Get this: shipping was $5.95. So, shipping was more than the cost of the product itself! But the website said I could pick up the product from my local store for free!
You can get those same fids for $4 through Amazon. http://amzn.to/2mVcSY6
With free shipping presuming you have Prime.
It looks like they're all the same design - probably the same manufacturer and just rebranded under numerous different brands.

Note the Samson kit sold by West Marine has metal fids instead of plastic, and two additional fids (for 5/16" and 7/16"). So it's not exactly fair to compare those apples to apples. Also if you read the reviews of the Wellington plastic fids, you'll see several people had issues with them, saying they don't work as well as the metal kind. So going cheaper doesn't always pay off. But for $4 I think I might as well try these.

And I agree with your first point - I've never understood why 5 pieces of metal cost $60.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Y

The only thing I worry about is having a supply house in the harbor when something breaks and I need it now or we are stuck ashore.
I don't blame anyone for not buying from WB, but when it comes to local harbor supply houses I think about the way the big box stores drove most of the hardware stores out of business. Those local hardware stores carried parts and tools that the big box stores will not because they only carry what moves. The parts stores in your local harbor will go the same way if everyone goes to internet to get everything.
Old 03-03-2017, 14:09   #11

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wellingto...&wl13=&veh=sem

Same kit? No shipping or tax.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:17   #12

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Although being accustomed to the refitti g and maintenance of a classy 54', as an engineer l feel appaled by that kit pricing.

Many times, l walked away. It costs 50+euro in europe. I think a dentist tool costs less.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:23   #13

Boat: 1983 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

I too balked at the cost of the metal fids so I purchased the plastic set. I couldn't make a splice. I don't know if it was my inexperience at the time or if it was the fids but I later went for the metal fids and was able to make many nice double braid splices.

Steve
Steveschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:53   #14

Thanks for that perspective. I will be using the plastic ones soon and will let you know if I have the same experience. You didn't mention what problem you were having. My thought it might be related to the slippery nature of plastic rope on plastic fids.

I never had any issues with my metal ones. But I have not tried using the plastic ones yet. If that is the case, it may be necessary to simply to add some substance to the inside of the fid that would make it stickier.
Old 19-03-2017, 22:12   #15

Don't bother buying the plastic fids. They are worthless. The plastic is too wide to fit through the cover. I had to use a long screw driver to push the core through the cover without the fid at all. Thank god they only cost $4.00.

Instead I bought a metal set from Defender.com. They are $10 cheaper than the Sampson set you get from West Marine and other suppliers.

http://www.defender.com/warehouseoutletstore.jsp

Tags
rope