Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2018, 21:23   #31

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: how to cut wire for lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
hugosalt,

How do you connect dyneema to the end fittings? Or to make a gate?

Ken

You can buy fittings that can be eye spliced in.
Old 18-04-2018, 22:26   #32

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

I use what is called a "Parrot's beak" cutter to cut small diameter rigging wire for the boat and for balusrades. Electrical tape close to the cut keeps the wire from fraying until inserted to the swage. Had the tool for more than 30 years and with careful use and storage, good as new

I use a Dremel to very carefully cut away loose ends outside the swage, but I jam an old Stanley knife blade between the wires to protect the swage and other side of the wire.

Works for me
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:04   #33

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_093608.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	168386Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_093618.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	168387Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_093637.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	168388Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_093804.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	168389Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_093810.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	168390

Here are a few photos of the dyneema lifelines I cobbled together.

Starting at the bow I made a short line with an eyesplice at each end. Both eyes are sized for the thimble so, interchangeable. Luggage tagged through the welded attaching point but around the pulpit frame. This puts the dead eye lashing at an easy point to adjust.

The top lifeline has thimbles spliced in on both ends. One end holds the line tight at the stancion, the other at the dead eye.

The bottom is luggage tagged to the stancion to terminate one end and attached to dead eye near the bow. Plenty of adjustment room for that part.

The gate is luggage tagged to the top line termination eye at one end and spliced to the Johnson terminal to screw into the pelican hook which gives adjustment to the gate.

I served the gate splices so the splice wouldn't work loose when the gate was open and there was no tension on the splices.

I've been beating and abusing these lines since I've put them on. No signs of wear.

I expect to hear some comments about how I've done it all wrong, hell sailorboy1 can't even say how much money he spends without someone saying he's doing it wrong. Haters gonna hate.

I'm happy with the simplicity of the install; reusable parts, dead easy installation, a knife and splicing tool are all that's required.

By the way I'm planning on replacing my standing rigging with synthetic so this was just a test bed. So far, so good.

Anyone that would like more info PM me or reply to this thread, once I get back to internet I'll respond.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
Would a Dremel sized cut-off tool be adequate? Or would that just be wildly underpowered?
wildly underpowered for sure. and you are going to eat a lot of discs.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 14:13   #35
gdh

Boat: Townson 11m sloop

goat, I like the simplicity of your installation. Adjustable on the fly, with plenty of options available depending on requirements...
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 17:49   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjandoverguy View Post
i am making life lines for a hunter and bought the johnson fittings and tool to crimp but how to cut the line to get it in the fitting

Use wire cutters - bolt cutters don't work. Soak the point you want to cut in super glue. About .5 inch cut in the middle.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines