Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2020, 11:48   #61

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: How Old Is Your Standing Rigging

44year old Westsail 32, standing rigging and chainplatesreplaced 2012 so 8 or so years....bobstay fitting and bobstay were replaced in 2016
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_160906.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	226154  
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 11:49   #62

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Our BenBow Cutter launched in 1981 and everything was original until last year when every single piece of rigging and related gear was replaced, except the generously oversized bronze turnbuckles.

One thing that I was doing a few years before I replaced the chainplates was striking them from all directions (rather generously) with a deadblow hammer. I considered it part of our inspection program.

Low and behold, when hammering one of the chainplates free from the teak rub-rail during the replacement project, a chainplate cracked/broke in half at a bolt hole from crevice corrosion. On the outside, this chainplate looked very solid and trustworthy. This experience has taught me the reason behind replacement interval recommendations and I have since decided that I will take such things more seriously in the future.

One thing we did before a passage on a friends boat that may be helpful to someone here:
The boat was new to him and had unknown age of rigging, we tested his mast tangs/fittings with penetrating dye, sold as a kit of aerosol cans for testing welds. Presuming that crevice corrosion would leave a crevice and we would see it in the dye check. Its not going to help the swage fittings, but certainly works well on the bent sheet stainless parts. The rig passed inspection and the sailing was a success. It also was a big confidence booster to have gotten intimate with the rig in that way.
Old 30-10-2020, 14:49   #63

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Boat is 20 rigging is 9

I can't wait for it to start to fail so I can put synthetic rigging on ��
Old 30-10-2020, 15:51   #64

Boat: Columbia 36

About 8 months. Replaced it all this past spring with Stalok fittings and wire from Rigging.com. 1969 boat and for all I know it was original, I figured it was time. Actually the Harken furler got damaged, had to replace the headstay along with it so I just kept going. Pulling the chain plates this winter.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:52   #65

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Boat is 20 rigging is 9

Yea, that first failure might drop the rig on your head!
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 16:57   #66

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
gota agree with you about the need to replace rigging every 10 or so years, but what can we do ?
chris, one ploy is to insure with the understanding that after 10 (or however many is stipulated) years that rig failures will not be covered. If you are convinced that the rig is still sound, this plan does not add much risk to you and you are still covered for all the other risks.

Jim
Old 30-10-2020, 17:40   #67

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Boat is 20 rigging is 9

Just ask a rigger. He'll convince you it's ready to fall and has been on borrowed time for years.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 18:43   #68

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
chris, one ploy is to insure with the understanding that after 10 (or however many is stipulated) years that rig failures will not be covered. If you are convinced that the rig is still sound, this plan does not add much risk to you and you are still covered for all the other risks.

Jim
true, true...

although i'd be worried about cover on any damage that was a consequence of the rig failure (eg deck damage from falling mast)

you know what insurance companies are like...any excuse

cheers,
Old 30-10-2020, 19:39   #69

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
Heck, if you are willing to insure your boat for a premium of 25% of its value, I’ll insure your boat.
Naaaahhh,

12 years of insurance, averaged $1200 per annum, = $14,400 or there abouts
boat probably worth max $60,000 notwithstanding recent costs
As I meant to say, total premiums are close to 25% of the current value of the boat, could perhaps made it clearer
As many have said before with boats, "If you need to ask how much it costs, simply, you cannot afford it!"
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 20:08   #70

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

15 years for both. My insurance policy states that the mast and rig aren't covered if the sails are up, unless it's a total loss, because the rig is over 10 years old. Passed all inspection two years ago. I'll replace it at some point in the next two or three years before going offshore, but for coastal use I'm ok with its condition at present.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 20:44   #71

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectr View Post
Naaaahhh,

12 years of insurance, averaged $1200 per annum, = $14,400 or there abouts
boat probably worth max $60,000 notwithstanding recent costs
As I meant to say, total premiums are close to 25% of the current value of the boat, could perhaps made it clearer
As many have said before with boats, "If you need to ask how much it costs, simply, you cannot afford it!"
i know it's a bit off topic, but feel you are paying too much. our insurance is abt 1% of boat value pa (paying $2000 pa for $190,000)...

just sayin

cheers,
Old 01-11-2020, 18:31   #72

Boat is 42 yrs. old - Ericson 29
new to me 1 year ago. little to no information about the boat or maintenance, except that a former owner had gotten too old, then sick.

rigging - 4 months: spring 2020, noticed a pin connection at bottom of forestay that was near failure. A reputable RI rigger told me that there was no way to estimate how old the rig was, but the turnbuckle manufacturer had been out of business for "at least 20 years" - "it all has to be replaced". decided to do it (all wire, swages, turnbuckles, etc. - he didn't recommend replacing the tangs). [rigging failure seems to be too dangerous to risk, this is not my O'Day 14 footer.]

Big question - need assistance: chain plates appear to be original, bad black staining below deck, but they are glassed into the hull - a bizarre Ericson "feature". I would gladly replace them but do not know how. For some reason I am blocked from the Ericson Yachts website, so can't get information from those Ericson owners.

Ideas?
RPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 19:50   #73

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPierre View Post
...Big question - need assistance: chain plates appear to be original, bad black staining below deck, but they are glassed into the hull - a bizarre Ericson "feature". I would gladly replace them but do not know how. For some reason I am blocked from the Ericson Yachts website, so can't get information from those Ericson owners...
DO NOT ignore the black staining below deck. This is evidence of rust eminating from cracks in the chainplates buried in the fiberglass.

You do not know how serious the cracking is but it could fail at any time.

he only way to solve it is to grind away the fiberglass and expose the chainplates, and probably replace them. Big job but it must be done.
Old 01-11-2020, 19:58   #74

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...I have never read a story of a mast coming down in anything less than an “all bets are off” type of event...
Jim Whittaker, climber and REI founder, had the mast of his new Swan 44 Impossible fall down after leaving Hawaii on the return delivery to Seattle, in the late 80's, I guess. No storm.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:57   #75
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Jim Whittaker, climber and REI founder, had the mast of his new Swan 44 Impossible fall down after leaving Hawaii on the return delivery to Seattle, in the late 80's, I guess. No storm.

Well the mast going down on a new boat suggests it asnt related to rigging age, but a new fitting etc. plus that was over 30s ago. So i am going to stay with my haven’t read a story of a rig coming down that didn't involve an extreme condition event.

Tags
rigging