Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 00:01   #91

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: How Old Is Your Standing Rigging

Wow, Tim, great photo and story about Tropic Bird.

Here’s a picture of our 9.5 year old forestay at the upper swage fitting. It was pristine 6 months earlier when inspected prior to our last pair of passages to Tonga and back and cruising there and since we got back. Eeek!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	226375

Our forestay had loosened and had too much movement, which would have exacerbated existing problems within the swage and broke the strands more quickly than otherwise. Maybe.

We now have all new forestay, cap shrouds, running backstays, and replaced all the tangs, toggles and chainplates. Also went fibre, but that’s a different topic. Our diamond stays were all replaced 5 years ago, so we’re on an alternate 5 year schedule.

Our UK-based insurance company has a “standing rigging does not exceed 10 years of age” clause in our policy.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 15:16   #92

Unless there is visible damage, why not get everything load-tested? As far as I remember, this usually done at 40% of breaking load. Most rigging shops are capable of doing this.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 15:31   #93

Was 20 years old. Was still fine, except 2 of the lower turnbuckle screws failed at the sametime. I replaced all the rigging with help from a friend in a weekend. After that I had it inspected by a rigger, same person I bought the wire and turnbuckles through. Then he went sailing with me to adjust the rig.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 19:23   #94

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by col50 View Post
Unless there is visible damage, why not get everything load-tested? As far as I remember, this usually done at 40% of breaking load. Most rigging shops are capable of doing this.
most of the cost is in the labour...actual wire etc is not that much. by the time you take it off to test, you might as well replace it.

we use to dye test rod rigging on my race boats but that was a different situation / equation

cheers,
Old 04-11-2020, 14:05   #95

Boat: S&S 40

I changed recently the forestay
The rest of the rigging is about 25 years old and still good. I check the terminals for cracks every now and then.
I do replace the terminal pins every few years.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:21   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
most of the cost is in the labour...actual wire etc is not that much. by the time you take it off to test, you might as well replace it.

we use to dye test rod rigging on my race boats but that was a different situation / equation
cheers,
Replacing all the wire and fittings (including the turnbuckles) on my 50 foot boat costs about $9,000 for just the parts. I can't imagine it would cost anywhere near that much for labor. Other then the testing, I would do my own work.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:10   #97

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Our Columbia 50 is 52 years old.

The original chainplates are having replacements made as I speak. The rest of the rigging is 20 years old. I had a rigging survey done, which mentioned one of the uppers needs replacing, which I will replace both, as well as the forestay, out of principle just in case. Everything else gets inspections regularly.

Tags
rigging