Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 05:20   #16

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Re: How do I rig my symmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Your boat is very similar to my 1975 Tartan 41, which was a blue water racer turned cruiser. Your hunch is correct about the block with the broken bungee being for the kite and yes spinnaker sheets run outside everything. Add a snatch block on port. You can use either the primary or secondary winches, whatever is more convenient. You don't need the furrling line on a winch (you should never need to winch it in. That's a good way to brake things!). Once you furl, you can just tie a quick release stopper knot at the turning block and let it lay on the deck so the secondary winch is free. When DDW, you will want your spin sheet farther forward and snatch blocks are nice and easy to move along the toe rail.. I love those extruded Aluminum toe rails! The reaching strut is needed when closer to the wind. You need a block on the foredeck for a foreguy (aka. down haul on the pole which we call the "Down F***er") And another block or cleat for the sock line. Yes, that inner track is likely for the inner stay sail. The forward block on the outer track is either for reaching with the stay sail and/or for a smaller under 100% jib on the main forestay. .. Yeah, my boat came with over 20 sails! I took 4 cruising to the Caribbean (Main, 120% genny, staysail, Spinnaker).
This all makes great sense, and thanks for explaining it to me! I also have a significant amount of sails (not quite 20) but am taking the same 4 you took South in a month.

I'm going to rig that second snatch block up today.

Another general question as I have about 20 jib sheets to choose from that are pre-rigged of all different shapes and sizes. Should the spinnaker sheets for a boat be thinner or larger than the 120% Genoa sheets for the same boat? Trying to figure out which lines might work for the spinnaker.

I appreciate it!
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
As a last resort, have you tried talking to the previous owner?

I find that most people are happy to talk about why they set their boat up a particular way.
Yes! He's been very helpful with lots of questions actually. Just not local anymore to me as I've moved the boat. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2022, 06:18   #18

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
This all makes great sense, and thanks for explaining it to me! I also have a significant amount of sails (not quite 20) but am taking the same 4 you took South in a month.

Another general question as I have about 20 jib sheets to choose from that are pre-rigged of all different shapes and sizes. Should the spinnaker sheets for a boat be thinner or larger than the 120% Genoa sheets for the same boat? Trying to figure out which lines might work for the spinnaker.

I appreciate it!
My boat came with light air sheets to not weigh down the spinnaker and normal sheets.

Recommendations -
https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Rope%20...mendations.pdf
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:43   #19

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hallo glow Although you have moved her away from the previous owner, can you speak to a member of his racing crew, or the sail maker who made his downwind sails? As you may know already, racing your size of boat needs at least 8 worked-up in the team.
I would suggest a copy Stuart Quarrie's Offshore Crew
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:47   #20

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

My mobile connection cut out - Stuart's Offshore Race Crews Manual. About 20 years old but on Amazon. How to win Admirals Cup races. One of his several good books.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:42   #21

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post

I appreciate it!
One needs an up haul line and a down haul line for the pole, two spinnaker sheets run outside of everything and those aft winches, small ones are for the spinnaker, asym,too.

The side connected to the spinnaker pole, is the "Active" guy the other the "inactive" guy, these change names upon gybing the sail.

I suggest you view a couple Videos on spinnaker hoisting.
You'll probably need crew to fly The spinnaker.

But the Asymmetrical you can do easily, even easier with a sock to douse.
Remember, a sails, and traditional spinnakers, the sheets stand way out, as the wind is behind you.

No need for attaching spinnaker lines to the rail of the boat.
Spinnaker lines pull the stern forward.

I'm thinking your up haul and down haul lines are run thru those inner deck tracks, to assist directional control.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 14:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
One needs an up haul line and a down haul line for the pole, two spinnaker sheets run outside of everything and those aft winches, small ones are for the spinnaker, asym,too.

The side connected to the spinnaker pole, is the "Active" guy the other the "inactive" guy, these change names upon gybing the sail.

I suggest you view a couple Videos on spinnaker hoisting.
You'll probably need crew to fly The spinnaker.

But the Asymmetrical you can do easily, even easier with a sock to douse.
Remember, a sails, and traditional spinnakers, the sheets stand way out, as the wind is behind you.

No need for attaching spinnaker lines to the rail of the boat.
Spinnaker lines pull the stern forward.

I'm thinking your up haul and down haul lines are run thru those inner deck tracks, to assist directional control.
Boatyarddog
The boat has uphill and downhaul lines already rigged thru other blocks. I've decided to store my dinghy in the aft lazaretto instead of on the front deck so in the next few days I'm going to semi permanently rig the inner forestay and running backstays, and then get my hank on storm sail mounted. I plan to leave it in a jib bag on the deck... anyway, this should narrow down the available pulleys etc.

Rambling there a bit. But, all this advise has me working a number of to dos on the rigging of the boat.

T minus 15 days until departure...!
Old 23-05-2022, 21:31   #23

Boat: Pearson 386

Both sheets are lead through turning blocks well aft near each quarter and then around your largest aft winches. The windward sheet aka your guy is led outside everything and passes through the outboard end of the pole and is clipped or tied to the tack of the spinnaker. The tack of your spinnaker must be outside the headstay before you attach the working end of the guy. The other sheet your sheet attaches to the other clew of the spinnaker and is led aft outside your shrouds to the turning block and around the winch.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, spinnaker