Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 07:43   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
How do I rig my symmetrical spinnaker?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. See the video. Main question: where do I run the spinnaker sheets?
https://youtu.be/ZKpBQw3zvmk

Thanks,

Spinnaker Noob
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:16   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: How do I rig my symmetrical spinnaker?

The block on the starboard side you think is for the spinnaker is correct. Don't use the furler block on the port side mounted on the pushpit.

It looks like the inner stay up forward is a babystay to bend the mast, not to put a sail on. Since the babystay gets in the way of gybing the spinnaker pole that is likely the reason you have two spinnaker poles. You rig the second one on the leeward side just before a gybe, gybe then take down the old pole. Do you have a quick release on the babystay? You use one pole when the babystay is out of the way.

Do the spinnaker poles have different fittings on each end? They should for that size boat to do a dip pole gybe or a 2 pole gybe. This will require lazy sheets and guys.

The pole mounted on the mast is likely a whisker pole to hold out the jib sailing downwind. You will destroy it trying to use it as a spinnaker pole.

You will also need a foreguy that keeps the spinnaker pole from going up at the spinnaker end, unless you run lazy sheets and guys, where the guys are run through blocks outboard near amidships. If you're going to gybe in any sort of wind on that size boat you should be running lazy sheets and guys.

You should browse many videos on youtube. Get someone experienced to show you how, or start learning in around 5 knots of wind. Spinnakers can be tricky.

If using the spinnaker for cruising in light winds, just get a sock and dowse it to reduce the complexity of two poles, releasing the babystay, lazy sheets and guys.

A diagram on one way to run the lines -
https://www.westmarine.com/west-advi...-Controls.html
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:38   #3

Thanks for all the info! Greatly appreciated. The baby stay in the video is what you describe. I have another one that would be rigged forward of that with running back stays that I do not have rigged on the boat at the moment.

Thanks for mentioning the difference between the whisker pole and spinnaker pole. I’ll look at that too. I also have a smaller pole stored that does something with the spinnaker as well.

Understood to use the aft winch on the starboard side.

What do you suggest I rig it to on the porch side? Should I add a pulley and go to the center empty winch or move the furler line to the empty winch and rig the spinnaker sheet the same on both sides of the boat?

I’d love to get someone to walk me through it but have a pending departure to the Bahamas and will likely end up just Learning on the go.

Appreciate it!

Oh, and the spinnaker is in a sock!
Old 10-05-2022, 09:33   #4

The short pole is a reaching strut. When the spinnaker pole is forward near the forestay, the reaching strut pushes the guy off of the windward shrouds.

This book has some nice beginning ideas as well -

https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-S...55952477&psc=1
Old 10-05-2022, 09:43   #5

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Symmetrical spinnaker or asymmetrical? Bet it is the later as a symmetrical spinnaker in a sock sounds odd. In which case the spinnaker poles are for running twin head sails downwind.

The running backstays are for the inner forestay, not the assymetrical spinnaker.

Deck attachment for running backstays may work best if aft of mast just as far as the inner forestay deck attachment is forward of the mast. Too far back means difficult to disengage. And that way you could, if desired, have a staysail flying behind the assymetrical.

Forward block on outboard track is for staysail. Aft block is for furled genoa.

Cabin top track could be used for high hoist blade jib on inner forestay.

Guessing you are going to have to play with how the lines run and keep sheets from binding in blocks or putting a groove in the gel coat.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohla View Post
Symmetrical spinnaker or asymmetrical? Bet it is the later as a symmetrical spinnaker in a sock sounds odd. In which case the spinnaker poles are for running twin head sails downwind.

The running backstays are for the inner forestay, not the assymetrical spinnaker.

Deck attachment for running backstays may work best if aft of mast just as far as the inner forestay deck attachment is forward of the mast. Too far back means difficult to disengage. And that way you could, if desired, have a staysail flying behind the assymetrical.

Forward block on outboard track is for staysail. Aft block is for furled genoa.

Cabin top track could be used for high hoist blade jib on inner forestay.

Guessing you are going to have to play with how the lines run and keep sheets from binding in blocks or putting a groove in the gel coat.
Socks for symmetrical spinnakers are not odd, just not racy. There was one on my boat that was old when I got it 20 years ago.

Why would he have two big heavy spinnaker poles on deck when he already has a whisker pole stowed on the mast? He would only need one spinnaker pole and the whisker to run twin headsails.

He also has a reaching strut which isn't used with assyms.
Old 10-05-2022, 13:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Socks for symmetrical spinnakers are not odd, just not racy. There was one on my boat that was old when I got it 20 years ago.

Why would he have two big heavy spinnaker poles on deck when he already has a whisker pole stowed on the mast? He would only need one spinnaker pole and the whisker to run twin headsails.

He also has a reaching strut which isn't used with assyms.
I'm pretty sure its a symettrical spinnaker.

The boat has two of those reaching/spinnaker poles (the ones on the side deck). I believe one is just a newer version of the other. It also has two of the smaller "reaching" struts that aren't pictured in the video. One a newer version of the other.

The boat was very well equipped as a racing sailboat when I purchased it. Much more kit than I intend to use while cruising. And, having no experience racing sailboats, I'm mainly interested in figuring out what I can play with while cruising without sacrificing too much storage space (family of 5 on a 40 ft sailboat)

Anyway, I will try to get this sail up at the dock and snap a photo or two.
Old 10-05-2022, 13:36   #8

I have a hank on ?staysail or small jib? that I believe would fly on the inner forestay. I'm not sure I'd ever use this but I packed it in the boat because I think it may come in handy as a storm sail. Or maybe it has another use. It's pretty thick fabric, and is measured to fit on my inner forestay.

I also have this cruising mini ?chute? that seems measured to fly on the inner forestay. It's very light. Not sure of its use! I wasn't planning on bringing this on our trip [we are leaving for a few months of Caribbean sailing.]

I've attached photos of both.

I appreciate any help. This boat is a step up in the sailing department for us. Our old boat had a hank on jib and simple main without any special gizmos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	257546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	257547  

Old 10-05-2022, 13:37   #9

FYI, I was leaving the inner forestay unrigged at this point as it gets in the way of carrying my dinghy on the foredeck.
Old 10-05-2022, 13:49   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the cloth is a heavy weight on the sail on the lawn, I'd say it is a stay sail for heavier weather. It has telltales, so you can see the air flow over the luff.

Ann
Old 10-05-2022, 14:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the cloth is a heavy weight on the sail on the lawn, I'd say it is a stay sail for heavier weather. It has telltales, so you can see the air flow over the luff.

Ann
Can you think of a use for the lightweight chute type sail? It is actually the one that has the tell tales, except it is not hank on or furling... as far I can tell. It's just a free chute style sail but only sized for my inner forestay. Trying to decide whether to bring it with us but can't figure out what it's used for!

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2022, 14:51   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Your boat is very similar to my 1975 Tartan 41, which was a blue water racer turned cruiser. Your hunch is correct about the block with the broken bungee being for the kite and yes spinnaker sheets run outside everything. Add a snatch block on port. You can use either the primary or secondary winches, whatever is more convenient. You don't need the furrling line on a winch (you should never need to winch it in. That's a good way to brake things!). Once you furl, you can just tie a quick release stopper knot at the turning block and let it lay on the deck so the secondary winch is free. When DDW, you will want your spin sheet farther forward and snatch blocks are nice and easy to move along the toe rail.. I love those extruded Aluminum toe rails! The reaching strut is needed when closer to the wind. You need a block on the foredeck for a foreguy (aka. down haul on the pole which we call the "Down F***er") And another block or cleat for the sock line. Yes, that inner track is likely for the inner stay sail. The forward block on the outer track is either for reaching with the stay sail and/or for a smaller under 100% jib on the main forestay. .. Yeah, my boat came with over 20 sails! I took 4 cruising to the Caribbean (Main, 120% genny, staysail, Spinnaker).
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 14:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglo View Post
Can you think of a use for the lightweight chute type sail? It is actually the one that has the tell tales, except it is not hank on or furling... as far I can tell. It's just a free chute style sail but only sized for my inner forestay. Trying to decide whether to bring it with us but can't figure out what it's used for!

Thanks!
Racers would fill the gap between the foot of the spinnaker and the deck with a reaching staysail. A jib is too close the the spinnaker to not interfere with the air flow. (unless you have a penalty pole)
Old 10-05-2022, 15:14   #14

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I'm uploading a YT video now (will be live as soon as its done processing) of use flying the spinnaker on our 1975 Tartan 41. You can see the green spin sheet on port (yeah, wrong color) is run to my primary winch. The winch used doesn't matter as long as it gets the job done. When racing, we sometimes run the sheet across the cockpit to the windward primary in order to keep the trimmer's weight up on the rail. You can also see that I have the reaching strut rigged, since the pole is out and we are close to the wind. here's the link..

https://youtu.be/Feh2vMPR0TM
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 16:09   #15

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

As a last resort, have you tried talking to the previous owner?

I find that most people are happy to talk about why they set their boat up a particular way.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, spinnaker