Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 06:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
Hood 705 Continuous Line Furling System

I've seen a few posts on this old (1995) system that is on my Cal 30 and wonder why conversion to a single line would be an issue without modification?

With all of my experiences with single line, I would simply maintain tension on both furler line and sheet as I rolled the sail out or in.

With a continuous loop furler, it would seem that you would do the same thing but use a different "side" of the loop depending on whether your were unfurling or furling.

If this is correct, why couldn't you just replace the loop line with a single line which would go into the drum when you were pulling on the sheet to unfurl and come out of the drum when you were furling?

I haven't sailed this boat yet and don't want to pull the shrink wrap for another month or so, but wanted to make plans on replacing sheets, halyards and other control lines before launch this spring.

Anyone with a 705 or 810 care to comment? By the way, although I have seen much written to the contrary by posters here and elsewhere, the brochure for this system clearly indicates that it is not a simple furl/unfurl design but one that will allow reefing through nearly infinite sail size and shape by stopping in between.

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
CaptainMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hood 705 Continuous Line Furling System

The best source for the information is not here. Talk to the folks at Hood. My understanding is that you need the single line conversion if you want to be able to reef reliably.

HOOD Yacht Systems 7712 Cheri Court Tampa, FL 323634 USA TEL: 813.885.2182
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Use the search function for Hood 800, 810, 900,915. Also Pompanette site ,Hood yachts systems. Its all there. I converted my 900 Line drive to 915 single line. Not hard to do , expensive.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:24   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

I have the 810 continuous line furler on my C30 and called Pompanette just a couple of weeks ago but they don't sell the conversion kit anymore. They want you to trade-in/upgrade.
dj2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:32   #5

Boat: Catalina 30
Also to answer your question about operation you need to keep both sides of the loop tensioned. So if that requires two hands then you can't put tension on the jib sheet unless you have three arms or a second person. You can leave a wrap abound the winch which will provide some tension. I do find that it takes two hands to handle the continuous loop on my boat.
dj2210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hood