Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 04:27   #1

Boat: Dolphin 14 Sr
Help with Dolphin Sr spars

Really need some help here. Bought a Dolphin 14 Sr with only the spar for the foot. The spar for the leech is missing so I need to replace it. Can anyone help with the length and wall thickness of this spar?
thanks
Coastal sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:20   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Help with Dolphin Sr spars

Hi Costal sailor, my first boat was a Dolphin Sr. I loved that boat and had great pleasure learning to sail on it. It lived on top of my 1971 VW Camper and “cruised” all of the Chesapeake Bay, Ocean City MD, lots of lakes, most of the coast of Florida and South to Key Largo.

According to the Sailrite website the Dolphin Sr sail’s luff is 13.5’ and the foot is 13.5’ with a leech is 15.58’. So the spar for the foot and the luff are the same length which is how I remember it, and both spars should be the same wall thickness too. You should be able to measure the one you have and find similar material to make the other.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 07:53   #3

Boat: Dolphin 14 Sr

Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can help me u,derstand a couple of things:
1. The Sunfish and the Dolphin have the same lenthg booms, yet the Dolphin has nearly twice the sq ft sail area
2. Some illustrations of a lateen rig show the luff and foot with booms, others the foot and leech.
Coastal sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 09:39   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The spars go on the luff and foot. No spar on the leech. Some lateen rigged boats ( dhows for instance) have one spar for the luff only but most small board boats like Sunfish, Dolphin, Phantom and others are rigged with two spars. One supporting the luff and one as a boom on the foot.

Sunfish sailboats are 13’9” and have 75 sq ft sails. Dolphin Sr boats are 14’6” and have 85 sq ft sails.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote