Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 11:06   #1

Boat: 1973 ensenada 20
Help a newb understand his sail

I just bought a 73 ensenada 20 . The sail that came attached to the boom was reefed . Upon raising the mast for the first time I noticed the reefing and decided to undo this so I could check condition of the sail . Now the boom will hang down to the tiller handle . Was this sail reefed because it is too large for the boat?
WilliamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 11:37   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Help a newb understand his sail

Welcome aboard here William! Got any photos of the issue you are describing? I suppose it is possible the previous owner was using a mainsail that did not belong on the boat. There are places where you can get used sails if you need to find one that will fit your boat if you don't want to spring for a new one yet.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 11:58   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

William, you could also talk to a local sailmaker about recutting the existing sail to fit the boat.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 13:08   #4

Ok I will post some photos it appears I need to reduce them to less then 400kb ? Is that correct ? Is there anything left of a photo at that size? The boat came with 5 sails two mains two jibs and a Genoa. Sorry for spelling errors
Old 13-09-2020, 14:14   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKidd View Post
Ok I will post some photos it appears I need to reduce them to less then 400kb ? Is that correct ? Is there anything left of a photo at that size? The boat came with 5 sails two mains two jibs and a Genoa. Sorry for spelling errors

When you post photos using the app choose “optimised” when it asks what size. It will automatically decrease the size. I don’t know if the website does the same thing. But you shouldn’t have to reduce the size of the original.

Regarding the boom droop, did you also hoist the halyard after undoing the reefing? There may be a separate short line or webbing strap holding the reefed sail at the gooseneck, where the boom is attached to the mast.

The foot of the main should be roughly horizontal when it is set properly.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 14:27   #6

Here’s a link with sail dimensions for the Ensenada 20. “Luff” is the edge going up the mast. “Foot” the edge along the boom. “Leach” the side from the top of the mast to the end of the boom. A lot of other good information here too,

www3.sympatico.ca/rodney.brandon/serendipity.htm

Also, while you’re learning there’s nothing wrong with sailing all the time with a reefed mainsail. Many sailors wait too long to reef and sail slower because the boat is overpowered. Boats like yours sail fastest “on their feet” healing only 10-15 degrees.

Also, start out using a jib not a Genoa. As you gain confidence, play with the Genoa when the wind is light.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 15:54   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43

If the boom comes down when the main sail goes up, it sounds like a topping lift problem. If the main is too large it will obviously not fit (i.e. the luff will not be taut) but the boom shouldn't move.
Old 13-09-2020, 16:18   #8

There is a app? I have some photos if there's an app I would like to use it
Old 13-09-2020, 16:51   #9

Ok I downloaded the app and its misbehaving. I'm going to see if there is a tech support thread or something on here instead of asking a bunch of tech questions here .
I'll be back
Old 13-09-2020, 17:01   #10

Hoping this isn't too blurry
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_163830.jpeg
Views:	592
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	223373
Old 13-09-2020, 17:03   #11

I know I know there's holes and stains pay no mind to those
Old 13-09-2020, 17:11   #12

Droopy Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_163850.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	223374
Old 13-09-2020, 17:11   #13

WilliamKidd:

Let's not get carried away :-)

There is nothing at all wrong with your little boat. She's a simple little boat, and that is exactly what she was ever mean to be, lest novices should become overwhelmed with all the strings that sailboats must necessarily have.

There is a device all sailboats should have. It's called a "topping lift" because it "tops up" the end of the boom. It's a string that goes from the outer end of the boom up and around a "pulley" (properly called a "sheave") at the top of the mast, then down to the deck where it can be fastened on a device called a "cleat".

On little simple boats like yours, the manufacturers don't provide a topping lift, Many people work around that deficiency by lashing or clamping a short little bit of line or wire to the backstay at a convenient height. On this "rat tail" is a hook of some kind, like a carbine hook, that can catch an eye at the end of the boom to hold it up. It's a workable arrangement although I, personally, detest it.

So: You hook the boom to the rat tail - then you hoist the sail. Then you slip the boom off the rat tail. When you come to take the sail down ("strike sail"), you turn head to wind so the boom comes midships. Then you hook the boom end to the rat tail. Then you lower the sail.

Since it's so really, really easy to rig a proper topping lift, why don't you do that next time you have the mast down?

Remember this forum exists to help people who are new to seafaring.

A minor thing: Your sail wasn't "reefed" — it was "furled". A furled sail is one that has been put away and lashed to its "spar", in this case the boom. A "reefed" sail is one that is still working, but has been reduced in area in order to ease the wind pressure acting on the boat.

So, welcome to the forum and enjoy your little boat. I've taught quite a number of people to sail in 20 foot boats, specifically the one called the "Cal 20"

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 18:04   #14

I have the rat tail I use it every time I lower the main . When its attached the boom is pretty perpendicular to the mast. So this is the correct sail for this even though the boom is so low ? It was set through the first set of reefing holes when I first hooked it up and it sat much better then what the photo shows
Old 13-09-2020, 18:28   #15

1+ on learn to sail reefed I was very relived to see that this sail had reefing positions from what I can tell the factory sail did not. The wind in my area is pretty nasty at times and almost always is there at least a breeze .

Tags
sail