Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 13:38   #1

Boat: C&C 27 MkIII
Harken Furler Mark 1 Unit 0

Wondering if anyone (prefer local) would have a manual and / or parts list for a Harken Mark 1 Unit 0 furler, that I could borrow and copy?

Mine is missing a chunk out of the top of the uppermost foil + the top cap. So I'm looking for parts for this as well (foil piece, connector, top cap). I have a partial copy of a parts list and it seems might have been a couple versions of the unit ... so info / help appreciated as well.

I'm in Victoria, BC, Canada

Van_Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 04:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Harken Furler Mark 1 Unit 0

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Van_Isle.

Cruising Jib Reefing & Furling Installation Manual Unit 1, 2 ➥ http://ca.binnacle.com/pdf/harken-73...ler-manual.pdf

Harken Mark 1 Roller Furling Manual ➥ Harken Mark1 Owners Manual

Quick Service - Harken ➥ http://www.harken.com/uploadedFiles/...ice_online.pdf

Harken Furler Parts ➥ Harken Furler Parts

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 11:23   #3

Thanks for the links Gord and the welcome. I've been here a while but 1st post! And .... I'm pleased to report that while I've been in BC since the late 80's I grew up in .... Thunder Bay!

- I've seen that Mark 1 Unit 2 manual before. Not sure how different my Unit 0 is, other than it uses screws rather than the rollpins for the foils.

- The P2 Marine link confirms pretty much what Harken told me ... no parts available.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/11/4rdn.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/545/fvaz.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/826/b0bs.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/132/2dzc.jpg

I might have a lead on a Mark 1 Unit 0 manual and maybe some parts from the guys over on CNC forum.

But I'm really considering a full replacement with a Furlex or Harken Mk IV furler.
Old 10-02-2014, 16:31   #4

Success .... I think! After a bit of a search I’ve found a new section of foil here locally in the ‘parts bin’ of a rigging shop (it’s actually new ... still in the plastic wrap). The rigger has a 2nd piece as well that has been cut down. He says he can’t be 100% sure it is a Mark 1 foil ... dimensions are correct and it is a screw (not rollpin) unit (the Mark 1 Unit 0 were the only Unit 1’s that (originally) used screws rather than rollpins) but if it is a Mark 2 or 3 foil, then the shape inside would be slightly different ... this fellow says the differences in the early Marks is small enough that the connector can be modified to suit without too much difficulty. .... I’ll find out tomorrow exactly what it might cost me for the part and also what the rigging shop will charge me to replace the forestay and fix-up the foil / install a halyard restrainer. This fellow says typically they make-up a new top-cap out of some plastic and he feels the old Mark 1 Unit 0 on my boat still has some good life left in it – in fact it seems this guy prefers the older Harkens to the newer ones.

Another rigger has quoted me $950 to repair the existing furler (not including replacement parts), replace the forestay and add a halyard restrainer (all with the mast up) .... and about $2500 to replace with a new Mark IV Unit 0. (I can probably cut about $250 off that by ordering the furler myself).

I’m quite leaning towards keeping the old unit. Mainly a cost thing at this time – I’ve got enough other projects needing doing! ... if I can keep the old one going for a couple more years I’ve been told the rest of my standing rigging probably only has a couple year’s left in it .... so then would be the opportunity to have the mast down and reassess the need to redo the furling.

I’m still interested in finding a user manual for the old Mark 1 furling unit, if anyone has one they can scan and email or send to me so I can scan (and return).

Hopefully I can get this sorted out in the next couple of weeks, so that I can get measured-up for my new genoa!
Old 10-02-2014, 16:46   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

The top cap in my foil Harken 02 from the olden days has been missing for twenty years, no big deal. These old units are bullet proof. No need for a restrainer, put a pennant on the sail to ensure a full hoist. No halyard wrap. Hoist it to within at least two inches of the top. Now I have rod rigging which is maybe why my foil has not been worn like yours but it might be you do not have enough tension on the headstay. They are good furlers once you learn the idiosyncrasies.
Old 19-02-2014, 11:57   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

VanIsle,
I had the bearings replaced in my drum and upper a swivel by Harken for about $100. last Winter. They did a complete inspection of the unit. Before you start spending a lot of money, give them a call. They were very helpful and fair and are a first class company. Also, there are good riggers and bad(dishonest/incompetent). If you get a bad one, you will pay dearly in time and money. Good luck and good sailing.

Harken (262) 691-3320
Old 25-02-2014, 13:57   #7

Boat: Hunter 34, 30' Catalina TRFK, 26.5 Hunter

Van Isle, I to am looking for a MK I foil section that uses the roll pins. Did you have any success?

Thx Phil
Freebird66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 17:38   #8

Actually in my search I did find in a local surplus / used marine store a section of roll-pin foil .... unused & still in the plastic with a little bag of roll pins taped to it. There was a Mark 1 drum & torque tube there as well (pretty sure it was a Unit 1). No idea what they were asking for it.
Old 25-02-2014, 19:27   #9

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
When we get into a storm I am going to heave to with the sea anchor z(yhat came with the boat) at 45- 50 degrees off the bow. This is what Lynn and Larry Pardey have used and have never suffered any damage. When they lied ahull they broached and suffered damage. This is explained in thier book and dvd "storm tatics". Larry said that there is very little strain on the equipment if the sea anchor and boat timed to be on the top of the wave at the same time. And as I understand this works well with about any boat.
Glad to hear, you may have found your parts. Is there a way to prevent future lightening strikes or contact with power lines. That looks like a previous high voltage damage I've seen.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 22:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Glad to hear, you may have found your parts. Is there a way to prevent future lightening strikes or contact with power lines. That looks like a previous high voltage damage I've seen.
?? Don't quite understand the quote.

Actually I've flip-flopped on the decision a number of times ... but I now have a new Harken furling unit on order. It was on sale last week ($1,170 (CAN)).
Old 26-02-2014, 05:59   #11

Boat: Hunter 34, 30' Catalina TRFK, 26.5 Hunter
Re: Harken Furler Mark 1 Unit1

I still looking for a section.
I'm in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
Freebird66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 19:04   #12

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Sorry, about the unnecessary quote. From computer to kindle fire to a smart phone, in the hands of a dummy, procedures for application sometimes gets confused...
The top of the foil looked burned, melted.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:34   #13

Boat: Chris Craft Commander 38'

Wow, what a hunt! I guess the 'deal' I found on an old MKI is not so great, because now I need 2 7' luff sections. If you know where I can buy them, please let me know.
leestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 22:59   #14

No idea. Keep a lookout on ebay. Mine is still for sale but foil is still all in one piece. Kinda hard to ship!

I've come to the conclusion that sailors in my area are a rude, ignorant, obnoxious bunch ... A fair number of tire-kickers & looky-loos that all want me to give them info they can easily determine with google and who want to know what it would cost to mount on their boat and would I personally arrange a meeting with my rigger ... And then I don't hear back from them and they don't respond to emails or return calls. I'm about to cut the thing in pieces and chuck it in the metal recycle bin!
Old 06-08-2015, 17:56   #15

Has anyone rebuilt the Halyard swivel. I made a mistake and pulled it apart while racing. I have the bearings and do not wish to take the entire furling/stay down to reset the bearings on the middle races. I want to try electric tape around the plate folded over in almost half, and stick it up against the plate edge and place upper bearings in then lower upper part over the bearings. Then complete top and lock ring and then pull tape off from the middle of the swivel. can this work? Harken suggested I use thick shaving cream or some other water soluble to hopefully hold the 19 bearings in the upper race then wash out after finish. If anyone has had success with out taking the whole system apart? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Randy
Bluefrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, Harken