Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 03:53   #31

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Halyards, pulley blocks, deck organisers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
^^ Harken and Antal make similar designed for deck mounting: they have a flat on the bottom side so the sheave doesn't touch the deck while it spins. It'd be relatively simple to cook something similar up for those.
I've only seen them used where multiple lines emerge from a clutch bank to a common winch, and the open sheave acts as a fairlead to whichever line is currently in use. If used further away, what's to keep the line from jumping out when slack? I'd prefer a closed fairlead for that.

Good points

I've looked at closed fairleads but they are hideously expensive. Antal make a 4 hole deck organiser but they are $110 each and I would need 4 of them.

I suppose I could put a strap over the top of the pulleys.

These at $10 each would be affordable and they would work but I would need X12 of them for 6 halyards.(Wouldn't look good!)

Maybe I will make up X4 banks (is that the word?) of 3 pulleys and weld a strap across the top to stop the rope jumping out. I have a MIG welder and my Son is competent welder of SS so that would be a cheap solution. The pulleys are not expensive at around $10 ea.

Thanks for your advice.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 14:15   #32

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

OP, maybe check this out :

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/dec...rictions-rings

When welding SS, check that the welding material is comparable with the corrosion properties of the welded part, if you don't want red stripes on your deck...
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 16:31   #33

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstendenmark View Post
OP, maybe check this out :

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/dec...rictions-rings

When welding SS, check that the welding material is comparable with the corrosion properties of the welded part, if you don't want red stripes on your deck...

WOW!

Thank you for the link to that article. That is exactly the sort of information I am after
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, halyard