Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2012, 19:17   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Halyard Jammed

Well, it seems I went and did a silly thing. I was changing out my Spinnaker Halyard and I'm not going into the long story. The small guide line broke off and now I have the halyard stuck in the mainmast. And by stuck, I mean stuck. I think its at or around the bottom of the mast and I cant get it out. Any help would be appreciated. The halyard had loops on both ends I should have cut the loop off before I ran it through. I think that's caught on something inside.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:33   #2

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Re: Halyard Jammed

From your statement, I assume there is NO messenger line / or halyard left on the outside of the mast. If there is, you might try attaching a good size treble barb fishing hook upside down ( points down) on a spare halyard, then raise the hook high enough to snag the broken line.. Good Luck
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:39   #3

the messenger line broke off. the halyard is inside the mast. nothing out side.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
Old 25-05-2012, 19:45   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
You have a deck stepped mast? Where the halyard returns at he lower end is there a plate or turning block. If yes remove the fitting and pull.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 20:09   #5

keel stepped. I was thinking I need to unscrew the plate where the halyard is fed up through. I will work on that tomorrow. Thanks

Old 25-05-2012, 20:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe
Well, it seems I went and did a silly thing. I was changing out my Spinnaker Halyard and I'm not going into the long story. The small guide line broke off and now I have the halyard stuck in the mainmast. And by stuck, I mean stuck. I think its at or around the bottom of the mast and I cant get it out. Any help would be appreciated. The halyard had loops on both ends I should have cut the loop off before I ran it through. I think that's caught on something inside.
Ouch - sucks...

Hard to visualize but if I read right the halyard was being fed down out the bottom of the mast and is almost out but stuck near the bottom. The halyard, I presume exits the side of the mast somewhere. It sounds like the end has snagged and needs to be lifted to clear a jam.

It sounds like you need to work from the bottom. I like the idea of something like the fish hook. Could you lash the hook to a stiff wire, points up. Feed it in (carefully not to snag other halyards) and see if you can find and lift the end? I'd consider getting away with a single hook to reduce chance of snagging something you dont want to snag...

I'd also go barbless hook so you have a chance of getting it out if it doesn't work.

Good luck.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 07:07   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Removing the plate a good idea up first then see what ensues.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:02   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-II

My tool of choice would be an electricians snake. First, I would relieve the tension on all halyards/lines inside the mast. Secondly, I would fish the snake into the bottom of the mast and try to grab the halyard until it is even with the exit hole and remove from there. I don't like the idea of a fish hook(even a barbless one) since it may bury deeply into the lines and be difficult to remove from the inside. If you take your time, you should be successful. Good luck and good sailing. www.tools-plus.com/klein-56002.html
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 10:10   #9

Thanks you guys. very good responses. I appreciate them all. I dont think I want to put a fish hook up there I might snag the wrong line, then what? I'm curious and I will research, but inside the mast. Does each line have it's own channel? Or are they freely run.

Old 26-05-2012, 10:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Ouch - sucks...

Hard to visualize but if I read right the halyard was being fed down out the bottom of the mast and is almost out but stuck near the bottom. The halyard, I presume exits the side of the mast somewhere. It sounds like the end has snagged and needs to be lifted to clear a jam.

It sounds like you need to work from the bottom. I like the idea of something like the fish hook. Could you lash the hook to a stiff wire, points up. Feed it in (carefully not to snag other halyards) and see if you can find and lift the end? I'd consider getting away with a single hook to reduce chance of snagging something you dont want to snag...

I'd also go barbless hook so you have a chance of getting it out if it doesn't work.

Good luck.
The line was attached to a messenger line going up the inside of the mast. The messenger and the halyard were all the way up and out the top of the mast when the messenger line broke from a strong tug. The messenger line fell to the deck and the Halyard scrurried down the mast like a rat. I pulled the Halyard out the bottom as far I as I could but ......oops

Old 26-05-2012, 10:47   #11

If there is a turning block/plate in the mast definitely give that a try. FYI: I've always seized the old halyard end to the new one with monel seizng wire and then taped it up.... pulliing the new halyard through with the old....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 17:59   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe

The line was attached to a messenger line going up the inside of the mast. The messenger and the halyard were all the way up and out the top of the mast when the messenger line broke from a strong tug. The messenger line fell to the deck and the Halyard scrurried down the mast like a rat. I pulled the Halyard out the bottom as far I as I could but ......oops
Ooh... Sounds like it could be a tangle and not a jam. That could be a lot worse...

Halyards are likely to be multiple halyards in one channel.

Have you pulled up on any other halyards since the jam? Maybe if jammed together the friction of one going up can help free the tangle and you can pull some more out the bottom.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 18:08   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

I feel your pain. My mainsail halyard is a couple of inches up from the block at the base of the mast. I will probably climb the mast and drop in back in with a weight to get it all the way down.
Old 26-05-2012, 20:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Ooh... Sounds like it could be a tangle and not a jam. That could be a lot worse...

Halyards are likely to be multiple halyards in one channel.

Have you pulled up on any other halyards since the jam? Maybe if jammed together the friction of one going up can help free the tangle and you can pull some more out the bottom.
There are 5 lines going up the mast
The mainsail
The Spinnaker
The Top Lift
The Jib
And one other unknown one

The Mainsail is tight to pull up, but has been since I owned the boat.
But the Top Lift line moves when I move the stuck Spinnaker Halyard.

I'm wondering if they are intertwined somehow. I bought a plumbers snake a bright flashlight and a mirror on the end of a stalk today. I'm hoping that I'll be able to see in there with these tools. All tools may come in handy in the future, so I'm glad I bought them.

It's getting dark here, I may go out tonite and use the flashlight and the mirror just to see if I can spot something.

You know it's a possibility that there's something else stuck up in there as well. The boats an '87 model who knows whats inside the mast that the previous owner couldn't get out.

Old 26-05-2012, 20:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
I feel your pain. My mainsail halyard is a couple of inches up from the block at the base of the mast. I will probably climb the mast and drop in back in with a weight to get it all the way down.
Oh my, so the halyard is fed in from the bottom and you had a messenger line break? Listen to me like I'm going to be able to help.
But I'll offer you any help I can especially when I get this figured out.

Tags
halyard