Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2022, 22:04   #1

Halyard eye splice question.

So i watched a video today and got a succesful eye splice on my first try. what do you think? it feels pretty strong when i pull on it. i couldnt get the rope to go all the way but its super strong. im going to use it for my main sail halyard. i figured i could use a heat gun and sort of melt some of the loose rope back together to make it look a little smoother. I thought maybe i could make my dock lines also and maybe do some halyards for my friends boat.

do you think i should use a heat gun or torch to melt it, the loose section? i know its polestyer but i dont know how easy it melts...any advice would be welcome. maybe just tape it real tight?

Do you think i should do some whipping?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	250956  
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 23:25   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Halyard eye splice question.

Try again, do not use this splice or you will most likely be fishing your halyard back through your mast at some point. Tapper the core dead end before burying it. Also get a good pair of gloves and a solid hook and really work it back into itself. Do not heat or burn to smooth it out, it will only make it brittle.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 23:28   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Also, if you’re doing dock lines I would use a good three strand for full time use and once you’ve improved your double braid make a nice set of lines for when you’re cruising.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Keep practicing. I'm not saying this to be mean, in fact your splice looks better than my first attempt!.
But as you practice(like most things) you will get cleaner and stronger results.
It's a great skill to have
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:59   #5

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Yeah, that splice is likely to fail at a most inopportune time.

Another thing to consider is the fact that most riggers will not put a splice in a main halyard because the stiffer, thicker section near the splice could become fouled in the masthead sheeve. In other words, your main could get stuck hoisted - not a good thing.

Rather, learn to tie a halyard hitch. You will never be able to untie it without a rope wrench (knife), but no worry. You should cut it and tie a new one every season to remove that part that wears on the sheeve when the sail is hoisted.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:33   #6

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post

Another thing to consider is the fact that most riggers will not put a splice in a main halyard because the stiffer, thicker section near the splice could become fouled in the masthead sheeve.
I've not met or even spoken with most riggers but the half dozen or so I've used do not share your aversion to splicing halyards.
Rucksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:52   #7

You guys are awesome. I posted this as a joke in my extreme frustration. I was waiting to see how long it might take for someone to call me an absolute lunatic and to step away from boats, and to never set foot on one again.

Frustrations dissolved i found a better video that was easy to follow and i FINALLY got a half way decent halyard eye splice. I really need to work on my tapering though. The area where the two lines meld together is a little 'chunky' and stiff. I think it will be ok for my jib halyard. The good splice seems pretty solid, and i whipped it to keep it from slipping. I just cant seem to master tapering though....i seem to not cut out enough or completely shred the end.

I do need to get a set of fids though. Im using the splicing wand now. It work but is a little clunky for my noob skills. I think fids would be easier for me to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	250963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	250964  

Old 09-01-2022, 08:57   #8

Here is the video that really helped make it simple if anyone is interested. I have no affiliation, just was a random video I came across.

The Sailrite videos were also helpful explaining the details and formulas. I watched those first but just couldn't get a good splice trying to follow them for some reason.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
Yeah, that splice is likely to fail at a most inopportune time.

Another thing to consider is the fact that most riggers will not put a splice in a main halyard because the stiffer, thicker section near the splice could become fouled in the masthead sheeve. In other words, your main could get stuck hoisted - not a good thing.

Rather, learn to tie a halyard hitch. You will never be able to untie it without a rope wrench (knife), but no worry. You should cut it and tie a new one every season to remove that part that wears on the sheeve when the sail is hoisted.

Interesting. Something to think about. This one will be for my jib so that shouldn't be a problem. My main uses a splice currently and I may continue to use one, BUT i will be careful to make sure the spliced area is nice and soft/flexible. Not my frankensplice above. I do know how to do halyard knots. I was prepared to use them if i couldn't figure out splicing.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:51   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
... I do know how to do halyard knots. I was prepared to use them if i couldn't figure out splicing.

Don't think of knots as something you use only if you cannot figure out a splice. I use knots on some halyards because they are better in some applications.
  • Shorter. Sometimes this allows for greater hoist. This is the reason I cut my main halyard splice off (splice would not fit through head pulley).
  • Easier to trim halyard for wear. Jammers wear the rope.
  • Don't need a shackle. One less thing.
Some halyards I do splice. Some running rigging. Just depends.

Sewn splices are an option. Often old lines really does not like to be spliced. Just as strong, but does require a UV cover in most cases.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:37   #11

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post

I was waiting to see how long it might take for someone to call me an absolute lunatic and to step away from boats, and to never set foot on one again.
Haha that's funny. I was waiting for someone else to do it.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 13:41   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Not sure if you’ve done this, but make sure you tension the splice really well before you use it in earnest.
The easiest way is to use two winches and crank it as hard as you can.
That will help to ensure it doesn’t come loose at an inappropriate time!

Also, re tapering the bury, this is really important to get right.
Many splices fail under a lot of tension due to the taper being too severe.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 14:00   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Recently went through the same frustration, to happy with the end product on this.
Major teaching moment from a local expert, was to change my fids to Ronstan FIBs. They are thin polished stainless steel, and have a internal hook, that grasps the core when threading through the braid.

Also an improvement is to tig the fibs so the longitudinal split at each end of the fib does not catch the rope fibres.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 14:09   #14

Boat: Columbia 36

The new one looks much better, is I'd probably trust it if tested as above. But I prefer a halyard hitch anyway, there's no fat spot in the line to jam up as mentioned. That was an issue on my boat, the hole the line had to go through at the masthead was pretty tight.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 14:55   #15

No rigger here, but I would think
a Captive Halyard Shackle would be a good idea
One less thing to not worry about loosing.
Perhaps a thimble in the loop also?
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard