Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 14:36   #1

Gibb 28 RA winches

Hi,

Both my spinnaker winches seem complete but can be lifted off the stems without undoing anything. It seems there should be something holding the spindle inside the stem, but I cannot see what this would be. On other winches there is a bolt inside the winch handle hole which can be undone, but on these there is a bar across the inside of the hole (this can be seen from the bottom in the second picture). Any suggestions how these should attach?

terah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 10:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Gibb 28 RA winches

This one gives you a bit of breakdown instruction showing a retaining ring... http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/gibbwinches.pdf

There are some links and info about Gibb winches here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-20909.html
Old 27-06-2015, 11:32   #3

Re: Gibb 28 RA winches

Thanks Brenda (or David?)

I'd seen the CF post you linked to before but discounted it as it was discussing self tailers. Reading it again though and the following jumps out:

"To fully dismantle it is necessary to remove the winch from the boat (a real pain) because the pin retaining the bottom drive cog comes out downwards."

Could be the same for my winches and explain why I couldn't find it. Will be on the boat tomorrow to check.
terah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch