Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 23:26   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Genoa sheet - another attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
. . . So then that big heavy genoa gets furled because now it is blowing say 20kts. Now this furled sail is again sub-optimal. It may not work too well upwind due to shape loss in furling.. . .

Partially furled headsails are crap upwind. Also you stretch them out by sailing with them partially furled. Foam luff pads help only slightly.

I never reef my headsails. I will change down from a 120 to a 95 if necessary (and the 95 is up 90% of the time anyway). I regulate sail area with the mainsail and staysail, not the jib. If I can't carry the whole jib, I get rid of it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:31   #17

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

This thread was originally about problems tacking a large genoa. The suggestions to improve tacking have been great. I really appreciate all of them. I'll look at adding rollers to the forward lower shrouds. I should have thought it.

It also raises the question - why have a large genoa? I have owned frac rigged sport boats with blade jibs, so I was surprised that I grew fond of my 155 and old masthead rig.

My 155 is certainly dated - this boat is a Nelson Marek design from the late 80's. I prefer to think of her as an American Classic ...oh well, silly me. I'm a little reluctant to change their sail plan.

It is a good sail up to 15 kts. Very good below 12. With a shortened main, good up to 18-20. It'll furl and still point okay up to ~22 kts. The luff is padded and that helps for moderate furling (10-20%).

After that, the sail must be deeply furled and that is the end of any close-hauled upwind work. Of course, bashing into 22+ kts close hauled is not something a geezer like me looks forward to. I'll run when I can, and would have to be clawing off a very scary lee shore with clogged fuel filters to beat close into a gale. But you can go upwind - just not at a 45 deg true wind angle.

Changing to smaller jibs on the fly is for my younger racing days. I've done it. It was fun. Furling certainly hurts the pointing angle and loses races. This sail comes down easily, but is literally too heavy to lift when rolled up on the deck (which is also no small feat). You really don't want to take down a sail like this in a seaway and it would take 3-4 guys. It could not be done safely.

One nice thing about the 155 is you can really get rid of a lot of sail area in a hurry if you need to - like when a summer squall is bearing down out of nowhere. It's actually not too bad to furl in heavy air if you can fall off and blanket it with the main. But, an overpowered 155 with no main is a very ugly beast to tame. Be careful doing that. It's tempting to just throw out the genoa, leave the main on the boom, and run off wind. But it can be a real PITA to furl later. I never winch the furling line unless there is just no other way. That is inviting disaster.

If I had a good, tabbed-in bulkhead under my foredeck for a chain plate, I would put in an inner forestay and move to a real cutter rig. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought a boat with that sail plan. But there is a lot of cost converting to it. Wire, sails, furlers, chain plates, tangs, winches, tracks, runners and their chain plates. I would then probably discover my new main is too small. Too costly for me. A real money pit, I fear. It is also just - well - complicated. I dislike it, aesthetically. Too much wire, rope, and stuff on the deck.

I'll probably just cut the genoa back (as I get older) or buy a 90-100 working jib. I considered a Solent rig with a jib. More affordable than moving to a cutter rig, and less complicated - but these are, I hear, also very poor setups for upwind work, with a big furled genoa blocking the luff. A friend who did it ended up added a staysail to go upwind.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:04   #18

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I promised to report back, and then promptly forgot to do it. Apologies.

The new sheet works very well. I can now tack this huge genoa single-handed in light and heavy air, very smoothly. The continuous line allows the clew to run past all obstacles.

Ditching the old tug boat rope I had for sheets - 1" diameter double braid, is also a big deal. I am now using 9/16" double braid polyester - nothing special - but much lighter, easier to handle. Runs much better thru the track cars and deck fair leads. Does not lap on the Lewmar 54 winches, and cleats just fine on the self-tailing hub.

I would not go any smaller for a sail this size.

Thanks again to all who advised me. Cheers.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa