Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 07:43   #1

Furling Code 0

I'm buying a Lagoon 42 and want to purchase a furling Code 0. I'm having a difficult time determining what the luff length should be, and I don't have the boat yet so I can't measure it so I'm going to err on the side of too short. I've never used a rope-luff furler.

Question: how long can the distance from the mast sheave to the swivel be? I'm thinking I'll undersize the luff but I'm worried if the distance from the sheave to the swivel is too long I'll have problems

Any advice is appreciated.

MarkLGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 11:03   #2

Re: Furling Code 0

There is unfortunately no hard and fast rule.

Are you going to use a 2:1 halyard and/or a torque rope. Those both make the system work better and increase tolerance to measurement imperfections.

But you are better off getting the hoist just as high as you can. It’s a light air sail and that gets you more area up high where you want it, and it makes furling better. Are you buying new - in which case the mfg or dealer should be able to give you a length within cm’s, and if buying used can’t you ask the broker or seller to let a sailmaker or surveyor to measure it? Has your sail loft network never fit a code sail to this model (which is not an obscure uncommon boat) before - they should have a measurement in their design files.

Bottom line, you can probably easily get away with a meter of halyard showing, but it’s not “right” and you will sail better and and the furling will work better with tighter measurement.

Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 12:57   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Get the boat first, then take it to a sailmaker you trust, have it made to fit, if itís not perfect have them make it so.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:49   #4

Thanks for the information and advice.
MarkLGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling