Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 16:45   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Furlex roller furler. Good or bad?

I need to replace my profurl but they are very difficult to deal with and waiting for shipping is impossible. Anyone know anything about furlex system? Good or bad? Boat is a 45' catamaran.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:19   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Furlex roller furler. Good or bad?

Several years ago I helped another owner install a new Furlex furler and I was very impressed with the design and construction. Top notch. But I have not operated one. I also have a Profurl and I have maintained the view that if/when I need to replace it I will first consider a Furlex. I look forward to hearing replies about operation.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 17:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

My previous boat had a Furlex furler when I bought it, and I thought it worked great. I understand the installation kit includes a new headstay. Only thing I didn't like, and I don't know if they're still like this, the prefeeder was attached with shock cord. Definitely a maintenance item, but really no big deal.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 18:18   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

I have a Furlex 200S. It works well, and the customer service is very good. The only negative is that the annual greasing of the bearings requires disassembly of the drum. For me, it takes over an hour to grease the system.

For what it's worth, in 2009 Practical Sailor picked Furlex 200S as the "best buy".
Old 06-03-2015, 09:10   #5

Boat: Sail-Fortissimo ALU 7,78 mt
Thumbs up Re: Furlex roller furler. Good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub1 View Post
I need to replace my profurl but they are very difficult to deal with and waiting for shipping is impossible. Anyone know anything about furlex system? Good or bad? Boat is a 45' catamaran.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Ciao, io ho installato sulla mia vela un Furlex 100 da una decina di anni. E' ottimo. Anche la manutenzione e' semplificata. Un po di grasso, una volta all'anno, senza smontare niente. Istruzioni ottime. Anche il montaggio e abbastanza semplice se sai usare gli atrezzi base.

Hello , I have installed on my sail a Furlex 100 for about ten years . And ' good . Also maintenance and ' simplified . A little fat , once a year , without removing anything. Instructions excellent . Even mounting and quite simple if you know the basic use free tools .
Max47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:59   #6

Boat: Hunter 340

My Furlex furling system works great. No issues after 7 years.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46   #7

My Furlex 200 is almost 20 years old. Works perfectly. I have only lubricated it 2-3 times.
BjarkeMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 10:12   #8

Boat: Beneteau 49

Ages ago, as a young engineer, I designed the first Hood Sea Furl and a few years later started Cruising Design and designed the Reefer. I have had a Furlex on a 50' sloop for 7 years and find it a very solid and reliable design.
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler