Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 21:43   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Forestay Clevis Pin Situation

I do not know what to do with this standing rigging issue and looking for some advice. This is the clevis pin that attaches the forestay to the chainplate. The clevis pin is correctly sized for the chainplate, however, it is too small for the toggle underneath the roller furler. Should I drill a larger hole in the chainplate to remedy this? Attached are pictures of the issue. As you can see there is a washer on one side of the toggle, but the PO didn't put one on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4940.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	197203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4941.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	197204  

Name:	IMG_4942.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	288.7 KB
ID:	197205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4944.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	197206  

Name:	IMG_4943.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	197207  
Sailor_Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:00   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Forestay Clevis Pin Situation

That toggle looks far too lightweight for the job. Look at the thickness compared with what it’s attached to. Looks like an emergency substitution to me, I’d replace it with something much more substantial and take the opportunity to get the holes right.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:36   #3

Good catch, Grant! Take a moment to pat yourself on the back for your diligence.

I will echo what Tillsbury says, though: that looks w-a-a-a-y too insubstantial for the job it's doing. If it were me, I would get a professional rigger in there to offer advice on the correct fix. If you drill the chainplate as you suggest, would that ultimately weaken the fitting over time to the point of failure...?

As I don't know the answer to that, I'd want to get a definitive answer from someone who does.

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Personally, I wouldn't use split rings either, but a proper cotter pin.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Forestay Clevis Pin Situation

Looks to me like there is plenty of meat to drill. However I’d not do anything until after I had a pro rigger look at it, cause it came from the factory with something that fit that hole that was correctly sized.
If you drill, drill underside and ream to correct size, that leaves a smooth hole and eliminates any stress risers. Probably overkill as most things on a boat are way oversized anyway, but why not do it right.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:14   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Find a new beefier toggle that has the correct size pin holes. This may take time, if so, consider sleeping the undersized pin to fit. This should only be a short term solution, used u til you source the correct toggle.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 20:39   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

As a rigger, i agree the toggle looks on the thin side, the clevis should have a cotter pin, not a ring, to answer the question, a rigging bushing can be used to bush up the hole on the toggle, they are made out of stainless steel.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 23:20   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

You could TIG weld a couple of SS washers onto the insides and outsides of the toggle but I don't like welding onto stainless which appears to be already of limited capacity.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 23:42   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
.... a rigging bushing can be used to bush up the hole on the toggle, they are made out of stainless steel.
The bush can be made fairly simply by getting the correct sized clevis pin for the toggle, drill the centre out to the size of the smaller clevis pin, cut it to make two bushes and use these bushes to fit into the toggle cheeks. The smaller clevis pin will now fir both the tang and the toggle. Finish off with a cotter pin.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:21   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

I don't have access to a metal lathe where I am, so building a bushing is going to be difficult for me. Is drilling the chainplate not a good idea? to just have a larger clevis pin through the whole setup. Or should I try to find a different toggle? Does anyone have pictures of the bushing suggestion or a website where I could find an example of one?
Sailor_Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Bushings should be pretty widely available, probably in bronze, which ought to be fine I think. Even Auto parts stores ought to have a stock of bushings. I think bushing is better than drilling as it’s not permanent and is easily undone.
Biggest issue with drilling is ensuring there is enough meat in the chain plate, you want at least as much metal left around the hole as the size of the hole. Plus of course if drilled, you can’t go back, and the boat was built with the smaller hole, so in my opinion you ought to go back with whatever the stock solution was.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:20   #12

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

You can bush with s.s. tubing or yello mental, i would not drill out the chain plate.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:48   #13

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

All of these are temporary fixes though. As soon as you can get a proper toggle and the right fittings if you like your mast pointing upwards.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:07   #14

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Have a local rigger get you the correct toggle and clevis pin, that will be the most direct way to take care of the issue.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:51   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
I don't have access to a metal lathe where I am, so building a bushing is going to be difficult for me. Is drilling the chainplate not a good idea? to just have a larger clevis pin through the whole setup. Or should I try to find a different toggle? Does anyone have pictures of the bushing suggestion or a website where I could find an example of one?
Drilling or reaming the hole in the chain plate is a viable solution provided that the portion of the circumference towards the end of the chain plate is not excessively reduced in thickness. It would be a miserable job but filing the hole out in the direction away from end of the chain plate would serve without thinning the subject section of the circumference.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote