Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 22:00   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Flaking Powder Coat

Hi,

I have flaking Powder Coating on my boom goosenecks and jib furler. Salt water has got underneath and is causing corrosion. I plan to remove the offending powder coating and use a good quality marine paint.

Has anyone got some good advice as how best to deal with this problem please?

Many thanks

--------------
Amel Super Maramu 2000 "La Boheme"
timbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:48   #2

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Flaking Powder Coat

Prep is the key to any good, long lasting, paint job. And how you prep depends on the material. If it is aluminum, most recommend priming it with special self-etching aluminum primer. Zinc chromate is the old standby but I think there are newer ones out that may be as good or better (and I am sure some worse). But you totally need to get rid of any "loose" old paint. Bead blasting is very good for that but you may not be able to get that done.

And you need to sand/scuff any paint and all the metal before priming and between coats if recommended by the paint manufacturer. As far as which paint to use I can't recommend that, but two part paint is more durable. You could send it out for powder coating. You can't powder coat in place as far as I know.

You might go to a rigging shop which repaints masts/spars. I think they mostly either powder coat or use 2-part paints.

Cleanliness at all stages is absolutely required - both for resulting durability and also looks.

Good luck.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 14:17   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Re: Flaking Powder Coat

Many thanks for the advice. I think that I will have a chat with riggers and paint people.