Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 22:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Fiberglass sleeve for soft shackles?

Hi,

I bought some fiberglass sleeving and experimenting with it with 7/64 and 3/16 soft shackles. I have no idea how beneficial and detrimental to parts it connects to. Seems strong but glass can dull things?

Ialkali - free glass fiber Yarn and treat by high temp, with small amounts of silane adhesive. Characterized as hight temp resistance, softness and tensile resistance.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220513_013911.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	257659  
Amsteelbluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 23:15   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Fiberglass sleeve for soft shackles?

Tidy job there, but what are you attempting to accomplish with the sleeve? The Dyneema is pretty damn chafe resistant and I doubt if the FG will improve that much, can't help but make it a bit stiffer and just might suffer some degradation from small radius flexing and then fill the Dyneema weave with glass bits.

I'll be interested to hear what others think!

Jim
Old 13-05-2022, 03:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Why not use Dyneema sleeve?
I can see nothing wrong with fiberglass, especially if you test it and tell us the results.
It's be interesting to see how it holds up to being hauled under tension around a tight bend radius a bunch of times.
Were do you get it?
How does it compare price-wise to Dyneema?
How many sizes are available?
What was it designed for?
Old 13-05-2022, 20:34   #4
Marine Service Provider

Talking Re: Fiberglass sleeve for soft shackles?

Thought I'd experiment with some extra protection and possibly entice some buyers. Sort of stand out from the rest. Although I am looking for sleeves for the 7/16 shackles I am making for offroad use. The idea sort of stemmed from this. The fiberglass sleeve is actually VERY pliable. It also expands. It slips over the 2 strands no problem. I had originally measured the length to cover everything below the nut but the expansion made it shorter.

I'm not using Dyneema sleeve because of the cost and still unsure about its selling point.I got it from Aliexpress (I know, I know, but some things are not really bad, depending on what it is) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...43961114%21sea

The price is much more affordable and so that is why I bought some to experiment.

There are several sizes. smallest is 1mm and largest is 40mm, and said it is used for electrical wire and cables as insulation/protection.

I figure the Fiberglass is pretty robust so really interested to how it holds up.

I might have to find someone on here willing to test and report on it since I dont have a sailboat. Anyone interested? Ill send you a couple or 4 and you test and report back on this thread
Amsteelbluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 21:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outremer 55L

Attractive price but definitely needs testing for behaviour with bends and chafe spots. Id be interested to try it for my reef line chafe protection at boom end and under a cam cleat. Also same as for the picture for soft shackle through chain. Im going to order some to try it.

Let us know how your testing goes. Thanks!
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 21:37   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Good to experiment/see what works.
I use tubular webbing on some of the soft shackles I make.
The kind climbers bet their life on.
Easy to pull back and check for wear but finding not needed for most applications.
Could be another option for you.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 03:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Thanks for the link.
Unless the stuff has an unforeseen and catastrophic failure mode, it might be just the thing we've been looking for to cover Dyneema shrouds. It's definitely worth testing the UV blocking potential of dyed glass fibers.
Comes is a nice range of sizes, too.

Tags
fiberglass