Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2009, 16:52   #1

Epoxy Primekote

I'm repainting my mast and have just begun testing how to apply the primer coat. I was surprised to see that the primer right out of the can was as thick as peanut butter. I added the required brushing thinner 2333N at 25% and got a consistency that I desired for rolling and brush tipping.

I started on just the mast head to about 1/2 foot down. It's all brush work but I was disappointed with the brushing characteristics - like warm marshmallows. At first, I had a tendency to work the brush too much dragging the paint and creating streaks. My technique got better as I went but I need to get much better before I move on to the main body of the mast.

I'd sure appreciate any helpful hints from experienced painters out there. I am expecting that the final coats using Interlux Perfection will go much better as there are much better brushing characteristics for Perfection that the Primekote primer. But, thus far the Primekote seems nasty.
hmsindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 17:23   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I've no experience with Primecoat, but Interlux has always responded well when I have called them with questions.. "The Interlux technical service helpline 800-468-7589 is open Monday through Friday to assist you."

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 17:48   #3

Sounds like you have a high-build primer. You will waste a lot of primer because of the brush marks. Perhaps a foam roller would improve your results, but spraying is best. You'll be sanding most of the primer off--until it is perfectly smooth. Smoother application=less sanding=less primer needed. For me, the reduction in sanding labor is worth the effort of spraying primer.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 16:23   #4

hmsindy

About 2-3 years ago my wife and I painted our aluminum mast during a cold wet windy March. We did it exactly as the fold out brochure on the lid of the Perfection described. I don't recall having any issues with the epoxy primer. I would do it again without hesitation. It took us about 10 days waiting for reasonable weather.

Phil
PELINDSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:30   #5

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsindy View Post
I'm repainting my mast and have just begun testing how to apply the primer coat. I was surprised to see that the primer right out of the can was as thick as peanut butter.
Really? says here on the spec sheet you can blow it, so need to be thin

https://secure.international-coating..._I_5000454.htm

maybe its a dud batch or mislabeled, peanut butter consistency sounds like epoxy filler/bog

More info/links here
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=122

Dave
Old 01-04-2009, 19:37   #6

Boat: samson c-mist 32
I went through 7 cans of it last year, you have to thin it 20-25% with a special thinner 233 or something, should tell you right on the can.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy