Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Thanks for the recommendations. I used to be against the powered winch but as I got older and bursitis set in (and a bit more brain activity for some reason) the idea of a portable powered winch has grown on me.

Do any of you who have this type of setup have additional batteries? Can you get by with one battery?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40   #47

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
My brother and I use this Dewalt 18 Volt.

FREE SHIPPING — DEWALT Cordless Right Angle Drill/Driver Kit — 18 Volt, 3/8in. Chuck, Model# DW960K-2 | Cordless Drills | Northern Tool + Equipment

We've had it about three years, and it's been through both a Shelby kit car project and the boat project. We've drilled lots of thick metal brackets with it, and it's never let us down. If we're constantly drilling heavy duty stuff, the battery will last about two hours. If it's getting only occasional use, it will last for days.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08   #48

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Do any of you who have this type of setup have additional batteries? Can you get by with one battery?
Depending upon the size of your boat and the amount of loading the drill has to handle, you may find you go through battries fairly quickly. We start with two, both fully charged. When one runs down, we swap it out for a fully charged unit and recharge the first with a 12v charger that one can purchase along with the Drill. It takes about 2-1/2 hours to fully recharge a battery pack with the 12v charger. The original batteries didn't last very long but we've had good service with replacements from BatteriesPlus; and, they guaranty their batteries for 12-18 months, which is an advantage.

Like the ship's main batteries, the batteries should not be left in a discharged state but fully charged before storage in a cool, dry, location.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 16:26   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Got notified yesterday it was shipped fedex, and I should have by Fri. I ordered it about 10 days ago, thinking, if it didn't come in a month I'd cancel. Got an e-mail yesterday that the drill came in sooner than anticipated
Marc
CONGRATS!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
@ svHyLyte - thanks for the comments. Looks like I'll be getting a second battery and will check out the source you recommended.
Old 04-06-2010, 16:12   #51

My Milwaukee arrived today, and I ran right over to the boat to try it. WOW! My torn rotator cup thanks everyone for the terrific advice.
My wife doesn't know it yet, but I love my Fathers Day gift.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:44   #52

Boat: Hanse 400
Did anyone know if it`s possible to use the Milwaukee charger on 230 volt?
They do not sell this drill in Norway!
alidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:09   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, alidal.

You won't be able to use a North American 120V charger, on a Euro' 230V supply, but check with Milwaukee Europe.
Europe ➥ Milwaukee Electric Tool - Global Home
Norsk ➥ http://www.milwaukeetool.no/int/no/n...Index?ReadForm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 15:45   #54

Thank you! I have now send a question to the UK dealer. In Norway they had no plan of taken in this drill at all. Is there someone of the US dealers shipping international?
Old 09-05-2011, 21:17   #55

Re: Electric Drill Winch

Maybe a bit late to respond , but while trying to help someone else in his search for electrical winch handles I've stumbled upon this topic.
For a few years now I use a Dewalt 18 volt for my winching and love every inch of it.
I also have the grinder and drill so the batteries are exchangeable.
This right agle drill keeps me winching for a few days and I always keep a loaded batttery stand by , its takes half an hour to charge.

I wouldn't want to mis my dewalt for a second although I realise the Milwaukee 28 volt is more man enough to hoist me into the mast.
It that prospect the Dewalt lets me down cold hearted.
If I would do it again , I would probably go for the Milwaukee .
But on the other hand , I allready had the cordless drill , so adding the dewalt angle drill was a normal thing to do because of the compatibility of batteries and charger.
I had no intention on turning my boat into a Walmart you see.

But I managed do some research concerning the torque of my cordless , and Dewalt was the best in his 18 volts class.
So I'm quite happy with it , but still need to climb like a monkey though , while my wife winches me up manualy into the mast.

Maybe I should have here to start pumping some iron ?
But then again , I wouldn't be able to give her the necessary daily beating no more , to keep her domesticated you see.
Oh well , I'll keep on climbing and make her bleed afterwards.
All and all a fair deal I would think. :-)

Regards

PS:

Alidal ,
I intend to make a 2 month trip to Norway starting halfway june (I'm living in Belgium, you know the worldchampion in not having a proper gouvernment) , you wouldn't happen to have some C-map NT + charts of the west coast for sale ?
The new buggers are so expensive you see , I need 3 charts from the south to the Lofoten.
Haven't found any on ebay sofar.
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30   #56

Hi, and thank you for answer! Is it this you have?
What winch/boat did you have?

I dont have cmap-NT, but I have some charts on pc...
I also have a harborguide from Bergen to Kirkenes on my pc. Send me a PM
Old 02-10-2012, 05:36   #57

I have been researching this, and am coughing up the money for the 28v system, model 0721. In order to raise someone up the mast, raise anchor and dinghy, you need over 1000 pounds of torque per inch. A lesser drill will raise a main in light winds and trim jib sheets in light winds, but no more per testimonials I read on several sites. We are able bodied, and only need muscle for the big jobs. We can do what a lesser drill can.

I saw only two testimonials indicating the star-shaped bit was better. One report was the square one broke; the other was someone who used both, and preferred the "star."

Be careful shopping for the drill, as some vendors have a cheaper price, but don't include the battery and charger. ToolBarn seems to have the best price on the kit, at $347.99. I will order it there, and if there's a problem I will return and repost.
formrteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 18:49   #58

Boat: LAGOON 440

Probably a bit more expensive than an electric drill, but you may like to have a look at a Winchrite (Winchrite).
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote