Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 19:57   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: "Easygybe" boom brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Have the gybe easy. dont like it.

Have the dutchman on my other boat.. LOVE it. going to replace the gybe easy on my Ohlson with the dutchman this year.
What is it that you don't like about the gybe easy? Why is the dutchman better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:15   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

It's sold.
That was fast !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:15   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Of all jibe arresters and othe gizmos, I still like a good eye on the clew of the headsail and a good hand on the main sheet. That seems to work every time.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 20:33   #19

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
What is it that you don't like about the gybe easy? Why is the dutchman better.
The gybe easy seems to be all on or off.. I can't feather it like the dutchman (which you can control the friction at the unit, and with the winch)

The gybe easy can hold the boom...or let it go free.. seems to be difficult to get it to a setting that it can just 'brake' on a gybe.. seems to slam or hold fast..

The dutchman I can set a friction level and have it 'brake' smoothly..or yank on the control line to stop it fully..or feather it out and it starts working with linear force (let it out a little..it brakes less..slowly..let it out more,..,it brakes even less..but controllable).. not on/off like the gybe easy.

Got 600 miles on the gybe easy last year.. I couldn't make it work well. tried everything.. I emailed the company for tips/tricks (couldn't locate a phone #)..never got a reply. Dutchman replied to my emails lightening quick and answered the phone on the second ring.

The dutchman on our other boat, I got working out of the box. had it mastered in 2 trips..

My wife had no problem adjusting the dutchman... she was scared sh*tless of the gybeasy..after seeing what a hard time I was having with it.

Maybe I was doing something wrong.. but with zero support from the company.. I just had to give up. I liked that it had no moving parts.. but it just didn't work as smoothly as I hoped it would.

Maybe this easygybe in the opening post is a good/better product.. can't comment on it til I try it...but I'll have a dutchman boom brake on our Ohlson this year.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 21:06   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
How often do you make it to the mainland?

John
Sorry! Couldn't help myself.
Old 07-03-2011, 21:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Of all jibe arresters and othe gizmos, I still like a good eye on the clew of the headsail and a good hand on the main sheet. That seems to work every time.

Cheers
Oz
It only takes one accidental jibe with a 375 sf mainsail to have to change your pants, or see the doctor, if you survive. It can even bring down the standing rig.
Old 07-03-2011, 21:24   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
PS the video is lying, it's not 27 MPH wind. look at the flag and waves. Maybe 12 kts.
Glad I'm not the only one who was seeing that. In my neighborhood, 27 gusting 39 usually involves whitecaps.

Who were these clowns trying to kid? Their entire market must be newbs.
Old 07-03-2011, 21:37   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Sorry! Couldn't help myself.
Del,

It might sound funny to you, but that's a very common term on the island.
The other terms are, "going over town" or, "going to America".

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 22:20   #24

Yeah, I know. If it wasn't for the big crack in the rock over at Deception........

All I know is that Island is always in my way to get out to sea.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

Cheers
Oz
Only if you can pull the sheet in fast enough, which isn't a given.

Everything works under some set of conditions. It just comes down to whether those conditions meet any of your needs to justify spending money/time on it.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:49   #26

been thinking about this today... Even with the mainsheet on the cabin roof of my yacht, for a planned and controlled gybe something like this is not needed.

However if you get caught with your pants down by a sudden wind shift, then I would imagine that a "controlled" gybe has got to be better than the main being back winded because of a fixed boom preventor and certainly better than a crash gybe
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56   #27

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
The gybe easy seems to be all on or off.. I can't feather it like the dutchman (which you can control the friction at the unit, and with the winch)

The gybe easy can hold the boom...or let it go free.. seems to be difficult to get it to a setting that it can just 'brake' on a gybe.. seems to slam or hold fast..

The dutchman I can set a friction level and have it 'brake' smoothly..or yank on the control line to stop it fully..or feather it out and it starts working with linear force (let it out a little..it brakes less..slowly..let it out more,..,it brakes even less..but controllable).. not on/off like the gybe easy.

Got 600 miles on the gybe easy last year.. I couldn't make it work well. tried everything.. I emailed the company for tips/tricks (couldn't locate a phone #)..never got a reply. Dutchman replied to my emails lightening quick and answered the phone on the second ring.

The dutchman on our other boat, I got working out of the box. had it mastered in 2 trips..

My wife had no problem adjusting the dutchman... she was scared sh*tless of the gybeasy..after seeing what a hard time I was having with it.

Maybe I was doing something wrong.. but with zero support from the company.. I just had to give up. I liked that it had no moving parts.. but it just didn't work as smoothly as I hoped it would.

Maybe this easygybe in the opening post is a good/better product.. can't comment on it til I try it...but I'll have a dutchman boom brake on our Ohlson this year.
Thanks for the description. That helps me in the decision process.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:00   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
been thinking about this today... Even with the mainsheet on the cabin roof of my yacht, for a planned and controlled gybe something like this is not needed.

However if you get caught with your pants down by a sudden wind shift, then I would imagine that a "controlled" gybe has got to be better than the main being back winded because of a fixed boom preventor and certainly better than a crash gybe

I imagine it would also help in the aftermath of the wind shift jibe, when the helmsman tries to correct for the jibe a moment too late and does another one.

Watching boats out on the water you can tell the accidental jibes from a distance, and they always seem to come in pairs. That has to be doubly bad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Interesting.... but why not just purchase a $15 "figure 8" that climbers use?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

Being back-wind'd is not really much of a problem with a preventer, unless your out in big seas. Then one has to go forward to change the preventer if one does want to jibe. With a boom brake you don't have to leave the cockpit to jibe, just ease off on the brake line a bit and bring it around slowly like in the video.

It's when you're running before the wind that an accidental jibe can be catastrophic even with a mid-boom traveler. It could snap the boom in half if it's a single boom attachment. That's why the bigger booms have 3 points spread out mid-boom, to ease the bending effect if there is a hi-load situation.

When setting up a boom brake one does have to get the radius right or one will have different tensions at different locations. You vant a smooth transition, port to stb, with an even tension on the line durning the swing.

If not perfect, then you would want it looser, when the boom is amidship, for when the sail changes sides. It'll absorb some of the shock by slipping a bit more, then slow as it comes to the end.

I luv my boom brake! It allows me to relax a bit more knowing I'm not going to lose it if there's a slight wind shift. And I try to avoid a straight down wind run. I prefer to jibe a bit, P/S, on long runs. It keeps the sails full & it's faster anyway!

Tags
boom brake