Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 00:55   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Send a message via Skype™ to Integra
DP or Challenge Code Zero sailcloth with Facnor 4500 or Karver KF5

Morning all,

I'm just ordering a 100m2 Code 0 for our new Lagoon 450, and have been given a choice of two sail materials and three furlers. I can't find any comments on either and would welcome your opinion.

DP versus Challenge - I've noticed that the fibers in the Code 0 laminate from Dimension-Polyant are closer together than those on the Challenge Sailcloth. Challenge is marketed as a racing sail fabric, both have anti-mildew but only the DP refers to UV protection.

Does anyone have experience with these sailcloths - specifically their longevity and UV resistance. The sailmaker advised against using a UV strip, and wants me to take the sail down when not in use - not very practical when we will be sailing every day.

Secondly, I have to choose between Code 0 furlers from Selden CX 25, Facnor FX 4500 and Karver KF5. Is the Selden inferior to the Facnor and Karver?

I like the Facnor system which looks very easy to use, but I also like the idea of the Karver KFH Furling Lock Swivel, although I guess you could use this independently.

Thank you in anticipation for your feedback - making these decisions is very difficult when there are so few user opinions!

Jason
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 06:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: DP or Challenge Code Zero sailcloth with Facnor 4500 or Karver KF5

We make a lot of this types of sails for cruising cats. These days we rarely use a laminate at all and most of the time it is light dacron in a radial layout with UV cover. But it is still advisable to drop the sail if bad weather is expected or leaving the boat for a length of time. These sails are generally refereed to as screechers on multi hulls. As most cruising cats are a bit under rigged and can carry them in stronger winds code zero laminates aren't very commonly used and definitely aren't very UV resistant. A lot of the Australian sailmakers use slightly heavier laminates which also allows the UV cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
Morning all,

I'm just ordering a 100m2 Code 0 for our new Lagoon 450, and have been given a choice of two sail materials and three furlers. I can't find any comments on either and would welcome your opinion.

DP versus Challenge - I've noticed that the fibers in the Code 0 laminate from Dimension-Polyant are closer together than those on the Challenge Sailcloth. Challenge is marketed as a racing sail fabric, both have anti-mildew but only the DP refers to UV protection.

Does anyone have experience with these sailcloths - specifically their longevity and UV resistance. The sailmaker advised against using a UV strip, and wants me to take the sail down when not in use - not very practical when we will be sailing every day.

Secondly, I have to choose between Code 0 furlers from Selden CX 25, Facnor FX 4500 and Karver KF5. Is the Selden inferior to the Facnor and Karver?

I like the Facnor system which looks very easy to use, but I also like the idea of the Karver KFH Furling Lock Swivel, although I guess you could use this independently.

Thank you in anticipation for your feedback - making these decisions is very difficult when there are so few user opinions!

Jason
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31   #3

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Old thread but if "Integra" is still on here what did you end up going with? I am currently looking at a light air sail and was curious about the sailcloth. The person I am working with is using CHALLENGE MCZ6P CODE ZERO LAMINATE. This is going on a monohull and will be using the main furler. I will be pulling down the current sail down and raising this sail for light air day sailing.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:40   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450
Send a message via Skype™ to Integra

Hi Foster,

We used MCZ6 code zero 60” white’ for the sail, manufactured by Challenge Sailcloth. The sail was manufactured by Hyde.

My advice would be to speak to the sailmaker about the cut of the sail if you are using a bottom up furler.

A code zero is a full sail, and we have found that it furled very tight at the bottom, but was loose at the head when fully furled. On several occasions, this led to the wind getting into the sail at the top and unfurling the head. We nearly lost my Son overboard in the middle of the night half way between Croatia and Italy when the wind came up suddenly and we had to try to get the sail down with the head flapping like mad. It took three of us to get the sail onto the deck.

We have twice had to repair the sail as the very light material rips very easily when the sail unfurls and starts flogging.

We have now converted our Facnor to a top down furler which has solved the problem.

Best of luck,

Jason
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 21:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

The tightness of the furl can be related to the quality and size of the torsion rope used. For this size sail it should be a good quality 15mm torsion rope, or the furl will be to loose at the top. Doing top down is another option, although top down is normally used for sails external of the torsion rope.
As I said we rarely use race CZ laminates for these sort of cruising sails as they just don't last well doing long passage making. But are okay for casual sailing in temperate climates.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
code zero, sail