Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Doyle UPS sail

Anyone with experience with a Doyle UPS sail?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:41   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Doyle UPS sail

We have one. Very good sail from ~50*-120* apparent, although you need to get the luff very tight to point high. A good general sail for light winds - use it like a large, lightweight genoa. If you are looking for a deep reaching or downwind sail, this is probably not a good choice.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48   #3
CLOD

Thanks. I have a spinnaker but could use something better to wind in light air.

How long have you had yours as Doyle says they have a new material just for the UPS. Makes me a little nervous to use a material not more proven.
Old 12-07-2012, 13:49   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have had it several years. It is nylon, although Doyle states in their literature that it is Dacron. What material are they making it out of now?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 13:56   #5

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer 35
I've had one for over 5 years. Still in excellent condition. I would agree that it's not ideal for downwind but it can be poled out. I can't use it for close reaching effectively.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 14:09   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have had it several years. It is nylon, although Doyle states in their literature that it is Dacron. What material are they making it out of now?

Mark
On the phone they said was some type of laminate. I asked for info on it.
Old 12-07-2012, 16:15   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Don, Look at a North G3 gennaker. Much more versatile.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:01   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Don, Look at a North G3 gennaker. Much more versatile.
I'm no sail expert, but from the North site the G3 seems to be only a reacher. So why would that be more versatile?
Old 12-07-2012, 19:26   #9

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Agreed, the marketing for North's G3 indicates that it has a relatively limited range of wind angles. How versatile is it in practice? How much trimming does it require to fly it effectively?

The easy furling and supposedly wind range of wind angles for sails like the Doyles UPS suggest that it'd be much more usable ... and therefore more likely to be used. A continuous furler system that is operable from the cockpit would make such a downwind sail easy to fly and retrieve.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:42   #10
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I'm no sail expert, but from the North site the G3 seems to be only a reacher. So why would that be more versatile?
The difference between a reacher and a runner is that a runner carries its maximum girth higher up. This applies whether it's a conventional spinnaker, an asymmetrical, or a gennaker. Any downwind sail is going to be one or the other. That doesn't mean that you can't reach with a runner, or run with a reacher. (But if you reach with a runner you'll get more weather helm, and if you run with a reacher you'll get less power.)

We routinely run our G3 at an apparent wind angles around 165 degrees, and it's quite stable and well-mannered at that depth. We'd lose a race against someone with an identical boat running a runner in the same conditions, but we're not racing, and we appreciate the fact that we don't have to tweak our G3 as often as if it were cut as a runner. (Which North will do, by the way, if you want them to.)

North advertises the G3 as a "set it and forget it" sail. When I ordered mine, I thought that was mostly marketing hype, but compared to the various spinnakers I've owned, that's actually how this sail works. It doesn't need the constant tending that most asymmetricals require.

In the old days we would have called a #3 a "shy kite." Now it's a G3 gennaker. But in terms of versatility, it's going to be able to do more things than the UPS sail, which by the way is more of a reacher than the G3 in terms of how it's designed.
Old 12-07-2012, 20:27   #11

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

OK, so cruising reality is that the G3 gennaker is a lot more versatile than indicated by North's marketing. Cool.

Bash, do you use a snuffer? Is it necessary or just useful to have?
Old 13-07-2012, 03:51   #12
CLOD

Thanks for the input.

But I'm not really looking for a reacher/runner, I'm really looking something that be more of close reacher. And I want to make it easy for my wife and I to handle it. Sails are too complex!
Old 13-07-2012, 04:13   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi Knowaz,

I have a Doyle Gennaker with a snuffer. Unless you have a furling gennaker you need a snuffer (it is called a stocking here in DK). They are great. Set the gennaker before you sail out and all you have to do i raise the snuffer and you're in business. pull the snuffer down and no more gennaker. SOme people I know snuff their gennaker when they gybe. it is easier than gybing the gennaker.4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:32   #14
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
OK, so cruising reality is that the G3 gennaker is a lot more versatile than indicated by North's marketing. Cool.
The marketing material is all about audience.

Remember, North's bread and butter is the racing community. Most people buy North because those sails win races. To a racer, a 3G would not fill a broad need, especially a club racer doing windward/leeward courses most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
Bash, do you use a snuffer? Is it necessary or just useful to have?
Absolutely. Mine was built by North with the sail. While I wouldn't call it "necessary," it certainly facilitates short-handed sailing. My wife and I can set and douse the chute alone, but only because we have the assistance of the sock and a great autopilot. Otherwise, it would be a four-person operation.
Old 13-07-2012, 09:46   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Absolutely. Mine was built by North with the sail. While I wouldn't call it "necessary," it certainly facilitates short-handed sailing. My wife and I can set and douse the chute alone, but only because we have the assistance of the sock and a great autopilot. Otherwise, it would be a four-person operation.
The same thing for my wife and I currently with our a-sym, especially if I leave it up too long.

I sent a message to North Sails since they have a loft right in town just like Doyle asking for their recommendation. I had originally passed them by because I didn't see anything in their sail choices to match what I was looking for.

And I plan to put this sail on a furler!!

Thanks

Tags
sail