Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 15:16   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Doyle Stackpack

My Cal 39 came with a Doyle Stackpack system with the lazyjacks, sow on sailcover and full battens. In looking at info the Doyle site calls it the easiest system to use and my site search here has found positive reviews. But mine has yet to go up or down without hanging up (always done while pointing into the wind and even in a lowly 5 knot wind).

So for those who have already been there on these; any hints?
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:14   #2

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34
Although I converted my rig to a Doyle Stackpack System, I have yet to use it because my boat remains on the hard. Nevertheless, you might give a jingle to Chuck O'Malley at Doyle Chesapeake Sailmakers in Annapolis, MD at 410-263-4840.

He has proven to be very helpful about resolving another problem with my rig (a problem created by the rigging company), and in the course of working through that, I have seen him respond very positively to folks who have walked into his shop with a variety of problems (not created by Doyle) and he has been more than generous in helping them.

Might be worth a call, especially if you don't get the problem sorted out on this forum (but I would be surprised if someone doesn't help you solve it here.)

And in the spirit of that, can you be more specific about "hanging up"? Where?

Roger
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 17:33   #3

Doyle Stackpack

I have it on my Pearson 39Y. I love it and have no problems, however I do have a Tides track and battcars. Goes up and down smooth as silk. It was installed by Annapolis Spars and Rigging. I truly love it along with the single line reefing from the cockpit.
What is hanging up? The battcars in the track? If so, try some lube on the slides in the track. Is the track smooth, straight?
My friend with another 39Y (not Pearson) has an older stackpack and has no troubles that I am aware of.
Cal 39 is a great boat. was looking for one when I found the Pearson and fell in love. You aren't the Cal39 that just moved into Markley's Marina in Middle River are you?
Call Doyle in Annapolis. They are very very helpful.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 18:36   #4

add to above

Tides Marine Dripless Shaft Seals - Rudder Bearings Seals and Sail Track#
Old 29-05-2009, 14:32   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
My hanging is mostly the battens on the lazyjack lines. It also doesn't seem to "drop" into the cover very well and I end up pulling the cover sides up so the sail finishes falling into it. The track lines seem to run smooth,but I'm going to lube it tomorrow. My feeling is the the lazyjack lines are too loose. But it was setup this way from the last owner and I thought they would know (but maybe they didn't care).
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 16:19   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Don,
It takes a little messing around to get it right, and even then you may have to deal with an occasional hang up. It helps if the lazy jack lines attachments can be made to the spreaders instead of the mast. This gives you a wider "catch basin" as it were so pointing straight upwind isn't quite so critical during raising and dropping of the main.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 17:13   #7

Yep. Too loose.
Old 29-05-2009, 19:32   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Don,
It helps if the lazy jack lines attachments can be made to the spreaders instead of the mast. This gives you a wider "catch basin" as it were so pointing straight upwind isn't quite so critical during raising and dropping of the main.

Steve B.

My boat was rigged this way, but when I installed a Mack Pack, Mack suggested this was not a good idea-- after I had already rigged the lazy jacks still attached to the spreaders. . Thet were concerned that when off the wind, the spreader was loaded in a way that in their experience could cause damage to the rig.

Not sure how credible this threat is... I still haven't detached from the spreaders, but I think about it. I would say it all depends on how far out on the spreader the attachment point is.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 20:27   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
My boat was rigged this way, but when I installed a Mack Pack, Mack suggested this was not a good idea-- after I had already rigged the lazy jacks still attached to the spreaders. . Thet were concerned that when off the wind, the spreader was loaded in a way that in their experience could cause damage to the rig.

Not sure how credible this threat is... I still haven't detached from the spreaders, but I think about it. I would say it all depends on how far out on the spreader the attachment point is.

My Dragonfly came rigged this way and the spreaders are rather short and stoutly mounted.

Actually, the original rigging scheme required the lazyjacks which were supported by the spreaders to carry the entire weight of the full battened main, AND the boom when the sail was dropped. There is no topping lift or vang, and there never was. I added a Boomkicker 1500 to support it and it works great.

http://www.boomkicker.com/images/Dragon33.jpg

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote