Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 14:53   #1

Boat: Freedom 30
Dodger replacement

Have receive a quote from a reputable outfit. They are heavily scheduled so work can not begin for about six months. I am in no rush so that isn't an issue. The maker wants 25% down now for a job six months in the future. There are no long lead procurements.

20% for essentially buying a place in line seems excessive but maybe that is standard practice in the dodger making world??

I would definitely understand a deposit of some amount, say $ 250 or so to make is somewhat painful to back out and a bearable loss if they go belly up before they get to my job. I almost feel like a bank making a zero interest loan for six months with no notion of credit quality.

Any thoughts from experienced dodger buyers?
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:12   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Dodger replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcunninghamii View Post

I paid 100% upon the work being completed on two different boats in two different corners of the country.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I paid 100% upon the work being completed on two different boats in two different corners of the country.
OK, that is good to know. Thanks for feedback.
Old 21-10-2020, 16:04   #4

Just out of curiosity, what does a dodger replacement run these days?
(if you don't mind saying of course)
I would expect that the stainless tube and hardware are not part of the job.
Thanks.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:04   #5

What’s the cancellation policy? I’m going to guess that based on location, you’re using the same PNW vendor I’m currently under contract with. That said, my contract didn’t have much lead time (got lucky), so they waived the 25%, but a couple weeks later I paid 50% once they started actual fabrication. 25% does seem high to get on a waiting list, but I probably would have paid it.

The company I’m using has a great reputation, though a bit expensive. Their work is top notch, and I personally know several owners with their dodgers. Mine gets installed next week. We’re looking forward to it. They aren’t a new company, and I’ve not heard of any issues with them. I’ll let you know how ours turns out.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
What’s the cancellation policy? I’m going to guess that based on location, you’re using the same PNW vendor I’m currently under contract with. That said, my contract didn’t have much lead time (got lucky), so they waived the 25%, but a couple weeks later I paid 50% once they started actual fabrication. 25% does seem high to get on a waiting list, but I probably would have paid it.

The company I’m using has a great reputation, though a bit expensive. Their work is top notch, and I personally know several owners with their dodgers. Mine gets installed next week. We’re looking forward to it. They aren’t a new company, and I’ve not heard of any issues with them. I’ll let you know how ours turns out.
Very good. I am in Norcal. Your payment schedule was more like what I was expecting. I am not unwilling to pay the deposit (perhaps smaller though) but I wanted to sanity check with you all to see what experience has been because I haven't a clue. I got the dodger with my boat 20 years ago. Before you ask, it was in storage for 16 of those 20 years. Since then it has been thrashed in 10,000 NM of offshore sailing so it's nearing end of life.

Oh, And I haven't any idea what their cancellation policy is but now I am going to find out. Thanks.
Old 21-10-2020, 16:30   #7

Around five grand, but it is not a super simple deal. I do have bows but the plan is to build back better, no, wait, make my dodger great again, no, wait improve my dodger hahahaha.

Ahem, anyway, I am adding forward struts and side handholds as well as duplicating mesh storage sleeves under the top of the dodger, eliminating small eisenglass portholes port and starboard and eliminating the little stretcher lashings which almost tripped me overboard 1000 miles offshore (yes, I was wearing a tether (although that is another story)). On the other hand, it is not a cadillac style dodger - basic three window deal about 5 feet deep from foremost button to aftmost lashing.

If anyone thinks five grand is insane, I am ready to be criticized.
Old 21-10-2020, 16:46   #8

That price doesn't shock me for quality work.

Do you ever take the dodger down while sailing or open the plastic windows? I never did - except to occasionally take the whole dodger off the tubes for a storm.

So when I had my last dodger built, I used one of the "non-rollable" flexible plastics the sports fishing guys use on their flybridges - it was called EZ2CY. Six years later it is still as clear as new glass. No more looking through a haze. The dodger maker had no problem stitching it to the sunbrella - he just kept saying - "You do understand that you can't roll this, right?"
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:13   #9

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Seems unlikely that a sailmaker/canvas shop will go belly up when they have an order book going out 6 months? It is often necessary to “reserve” your place in the queue.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 20:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
That price doesn't shock me for quality work.

Do you ever take the dodger down while sailing or open the plastic windows? I never did - except to occasionally take the whole dodger off the tubes for a storm.

So when I had my last dodger built, I used one of the "non-rollable" flexible plastics the sports fishing guys use on their flybridges - it was called EZ2CY. Six years later it is still as clear as new glass. No more looking through a haze. The dodger maker had no problem stitching it to the sunbrella - he just kept saying - "You do understand that you can't roll this, right?"
I thought I would take it down but I never do.

I live on the Calif delta and it is hot as hell in summer. I need that middle window open from time to time including at anchor. I would love to have more robust glass but I do need that center vent. Up in the Bay I do not but I am only up there about half the time.
Old 21-10-2020, 20:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Seems unlikely that a sailmaker/canvas shop will go belly up when they have an order book going out 6 months? It is often necessary to “reserve” your place in the queue.
Well, who knows? All sorts of black swans these days, a whole flock of them. Having said that, they have been in business for a long time so I acknowledge the risk is low.
Old 21-10-2020, 20:50   #12

Boat: Island Packet 349

If you are talking about Iverson, just go with the program. You will not regret it.

Consider getting a removable central panel from Strataglass, as well as other windows. Just unzip the central panel and store it below when not needed.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 21:33   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcunninghamii View Post
Have receive a quote from a reputable outfit. They are heavily scheduled so work can not begin for about six months. I am in no rush so that isn't an issue. The maker wants 25% down now for a job six months in the future. There are no long lead procurements.

20% for essentially buying a place in line seems excessive but maybe that is standard practice in the dodger making world??

I would definitely understand a deposit of some amount, say $ 250 or so to make is somewhat painful to back out and a bearable loss if they go belly up before they get to my job. I almost feel like a bank making a zero interest loan for six months with no notion of credit quality.

The top dodger makers (maybe I should say "Maker") is in such demand that they can charge whatever they want. The work I've seen is excellent. Better than excellent, superb!

So if you want superb, the best, and you can afford it, you'll pay the 25% deposit, and accept the other stipulations. Quit complaining, you could always go somewhere else.

Me? I couldn't afford a normal dodger let alone a top of the line dodger. But then I wasn't as rich as most seem to be these days and I had other things on my list.

So I made my own dodger, including the stainless steel tube bending. It took four days. The material was about $150. It wasn't perfect but it was good.

Five years later I made a second one, still wasn't perfect but damn better. It got us around the world. The photos of that dodger are below.

Note that we always use soft vinyl window material because we fold down the dodger very often. We are sailors, we need the wind in our faces. I will not trust a sailor who never needs the wind in his face.

And I'd rather make my own dodger than spend the money on one that could be spent on a new sail.

PS. This is not a big dodger, but it's what we wanted:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433-Dodger.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	225664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blasting to Windward-46.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	225665  

Old 21-10-2020, 21:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
If you are talking about Iverson, just go with the program. You will not regret it.

Consider getting a removable central panel from Strataglass, as well as other windows. Just unzip the central panel and store it below when not needed.
Not Iverson. They are things of beauty for sure but I really like the shape of my current dodger on my boat and am having it essentially duplicated. I will speak to them about the Strataglass though. That does sound like an interesting approach. I fear it will further stretch my budget though.
Old 21-10-2020, 22:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The top dodger makers (maybe I should say "Maker") is in such demand that they can charge whatever they want. The work I've seen is excellent. Better than excellent, superb!

So if you want superb, the best, and you can afford it, you'll pay the 25% deposit, and accept the other stipulations. Quit complaining, you could always go somewhere else.

Me? I couldn't afford a normal dodger let alone a top of the line dodger. But then I wasn't as rich as most seem to be these days and I had other things on my list.

So I made my own dodger, including the stainless steel tube bending. It took four days. The material was about $150. It wasn't perfect but it was good.

Five years later I made a second one, still wasn't perfect but damn better. It got us around the world. The photos of that dodger are below.

Note that we always use soft vinyl window material because we fold down the dodger very often. We are sailors, we need the wind in our faces. I will not trust a sailor who never needs the wind in his face.

And I'd rather make my own dodger than spend the money on one that could be spent on a new sail.

PS. This is not a big dodger, but it's what we wanted:
Very nice. A couple of my competitors in the 16 and 18 Singlehanded Transpac had very similar designs fitted. We had a lot of debates on what was the right dodger but I opted to use the one that came with the boat when I bought it. I have actually come to like it very much which is why I want to duplicate it with some additional strength and features. I wish I could figure out how to do thumbnails so I could post some dodger and no dodger pics.

I have limited canvas fab skills. I made my lee cloths and upholstered a quarter berth cushion (which I never used) but would not attempt my own dodger because I really don't have to skill to produce a quality result.

I do note, even with the dodger rigged, I get quite a bit of wind in my face but not sure that makes me particularly trustworthy. Tho it does make me particularly cold up in the SF Bay

I sail a 1986 Freedom 30 (hull#3). Under way I feel like the richest guy in the world. I imagine you feel the same about your boat.

Tags
dodger, men