Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 23:53   #16

Boat: Freedom 30
Re: Dodger replacement

here is a pic of my existing dodger
http://sfbaysss.org/shtp2018/bio/JACQUELINE_boat.jpg
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 14:02   #17

I’m actually going with the 60 mil polycarbonate windows in my dodger. It’s in 3 panels - supposedly all removable, though I only plan on opening the center regularly. Obviously they’d have to be stored flat. Whatever “glass” you go with, the most important factor seems to be keeping them covered except when out sailing. I am curious about how much “drag” the canvas will add.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 14:48   #18

Boat: Freedom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
I’m actually going with the 60 mil polycarbonate windows in my dodger. It’s in 3 panels - supposedly all removable, though I only plan on opening the center regularly. Obviously they’d have to be stored flat. Whatever “glass” you go with, the most important factor seems to be keeping them covered except when out sailing. I am curious about how much “drag” the canvas will add.
Agree on glass cover. When I bought my boat many moons ago, the owner had simply left the dodger in place with no cover (lying in San Diego at the time). The glass was yellowed and almost completely opaque. I have had the glass changed out twice now and added a cover at first replacement. The second was due to emerging tears in the eisenglass. Consequently my dodger looks a lot like a pincushion, it has been repaired, resewn and modified four or five times now. Should have replaced it a while ago. I plan to explore the window options with the maker.

With regard to windage, there is some for sure, but my sense is that it is not really significant. Others may have a better take on it.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:41   #19

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37

Have any plans or input on how to find plans?
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:53   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Our dodger has Makrolon AR2 for the windows. Stays amazingly clear. I called the canvas company which made the dodger (and bimini) to find out how I should care for the windows. The rep said mild soap and water. What really surprised me is I asked whether I should remove the dodger for the winter to increase life of it. He said, "No," all the material will hold up fine for many years.

The middle window is fairly large and a bit of a PITA to remove and reinstall, but I have it out for most of the season as the wind coming in from the front is so nice. And, I admit, we rarely sail with water coming over the bow.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:21   #21

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I was getting a quote from iverson and they require a 20 or 25% deposit I believe. My neighbor is getting one made by them. They seem great except they do ZERO customization. I need something that would work in my non traditional compaionway and they said they can't help.

I'm willing to pay a premium to them, yet they refused my business unfortunately :/
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger, men