Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you make your own splices?
No, I pay a rigger or use a bowline 11 8.80%
I make most of my own splices in double braid and 3-strand 80 64.00%
I splice 3-strand (and perhaps single braid) but not double braid 33 26.40%
I can splice in an emergency but usually hire a rigger 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2019, 19:37   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Do you make your own splices?

When I bought my boat, it was clear that the former owner couldn't tie knots. There were shackles and snaps everywhere, including for the fender lines. I tie knots instead.

I have been making my own splices. It is not difficult to splice three-strand rope and I've made a loop that's just the right length for warping into my slip that way.

I have been making my own eye splices in double braid but am not happy with the results. It takes me 20 minutes and I have to look at printed instructions to do it. I have one of the kits with various sized fids, plus a marker, a knife, scissors. I made my own lazyjacks with all kinds of eye splices, partly as a sort of exercise. I am better but the results are still inconsistent and time consuming.

Wish I could get good.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:10   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Do you make your own splices?

There's no "yes" option on your poll question...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:24   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
When I bought my boat, it was clear that the former owner couldn't tie knots. There were shackles and snaps everywhere, including for the fender lines. I tie knots instead.

I have been making my own splices. It is not difficult to splice three-strand rope and I've made a loop that's just the right length for warping into my slip that way.

I have been making my own eye splices in double braid but am not happy with the results. It takes me 20 minutes and I have to look at printed instructions to do it. I have one of the kits with various sized fids, plus a marker, a knife, scissors. I made my own lazyjacks with all kinds of eye splices, partly as a sort of exercise. I am better but the results are still inconsistent and time consuming.

Wish I could get good.
Your poll question is sort of lame, I can't find the answer that matches me.

I do all my own splices, three strand (what's that?) double braid, high tech double braid, including tight cover traditional etc, etc, and also, although not in much demand now, wire to rope splices and the dynema and soft shackles.

Get a cool beverage and comfy place and follow the instructions. The first ones won't look so good but they will work. They get better with practice.

If you want perfect without all the hard work, hire a rigger.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:39   #4

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I do my own splices.

Recently, that's been: dyneema, double braid, and 3 strand.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:43   #5

Do you make your all own splices? = Yes

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 20:56   #6

Yes, mostly dyneema but a bit of double braid, and octoplait for the mooring lines. Not seen three-strand on a boat this century.

I've seen a number of web pages describing eye splices in double braid, some of which work better than others. This is the technique I use, which works very easily indeed. Note: this is *only* for polyester double braid, not for Dyneema or other stuff where the entire strength is in the core:

http://www.sw-marine.co.uk/acatalog/...id_Splice.html
Old 18-08-2019, 21:04   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
three strand (what's that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Yes, mostly dyneema but a bit of double braid, and octoplait for the mooring lines. Not seen three-strand on a boat this century.

My docklines are three-strand.

So are the bridle and tow lines on our SAR boat.
I put a backsplice in a three-strand pendant on a fender on the SAR boat just yesterday
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 21:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My mooring lines as three-strand.

So are the bridle and tow lines on our SAR boat.
I put a backsplice in a three-strand pendant on a fender on the SAR boat just yesterday
But I've not seen your boat
Old 19-08-2019, 02:07   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

Wish I could get good.
I do my own splices. Don't beat yourself up. It's impossible to get good at it and do it all by memory because there just isn't enough splicing work on one single boat to get in all the practice you'd need.

Nothing wrong with refreshing yourself by looking at the instructions again trying to do that splice you've only done 2 or 3 times and haven't done for 2 years.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 02:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I do my own splices. Don't beat yourself up. It's impossible to get good at it and do it all by memory because there just isn't enough splicing work on one single boat to get in all the practice you'd need.

Nothing wrong with refreshing yourself by looking at the instructions again trying to do that splice you've only done 2 or 3 times and haven't done for 2 years.
+1 .

I still pull out instructions for splicing double braid just to refresh my memory, as it can easily be months between needing to splice double braid. I am still super slow too, but nothing wrong with that.

Getting good at double braid eye splices mainly involves a huge amount of care and not taking shortcuts such as shortening the core excessively and only burying the cover a small distance to increase ease and therefore speed. Several riggers I have chatted with employ both techniques.

It is quality not speed that is critical in my book .

Jammer hasn’t mentioned single braid UHMWPE such as dyneema. These splices are super easy and super quick and there is a multitude of uses for loops and strops produced from these. I find my kit comes out frequently for this type of splicing.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:05   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Three strand and dyneema, yes I do my own, since both are easy. Low strerch double braid is a PITA and I dont trust my results so Ive often farmed that out to pro friends.

Its also rare that I need to splice double braid anyway...esp since on my boats I typically use buntline hitches to attach to hardware rather than splices. I prefer that method because its easier to service in the field vs redoing a splice and I dont need to rely on someone else to make a splice I have more confidence in.

Buntline hitches are also of course way more quick and easy to do than a splice. Case in point: had a halyard fail at the eye splice on a friend's boat WAY offshore at night...of course. The field fix was simply to cut off the failed splice and tie onto the shackle using a buntline hitch...quick and easy and I was back in my bunk un a matter of minutes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:20   #12

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I splice the nylon 3 strand rope to remove worn spots or if I want to extend the rope.
But some of my ropes are too used up, if you open them up they will fall apart.
I got one interesting old 3/4" rope came from a work boat and use that for a short spring line. Its worn on the outer edges and stiff but it does the job ok.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:41   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Dyneema into double braid can be handy as well sometimes >>

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 04:59   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Wish I could get good.

You CAN get good -- just stick with it.

Do you have Brian Toss' wonderful book, The Rigger's Apprentice?

If not, stop whatever you're doing now and order a copy of it. Read and enjoy it -- it is a beautiful book, beautifully written and illustrated, and contains almost all you really need to know.

I do almost all of my own splices. I started out splicing single braid Dyneema and three strand -- which is dead easy. Then dyneema double braid, which is somewhat harder, and hardest of all is poly double braid. Don't try to splice used poly double braid, and don't ask me how I know! I was pretty crap at it too and only very slowly achieved more or less decent skills. In my experience, it just takes practice, practice and practice.

Splicing and doing everything else with ropes is fundamental to seamanship, in my opinion. Ropes are our basic tools -- we should love them and know them intimately and have all the skills related to them. Splicing, knots, and ropework are all immensely satisfying to me, personally. Good luck!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 06:36   #15

Boat: Sabre 402

Got a set of Selma fids. They’re fantastic!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote