Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 14:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Do It Yourself PVC Roller Furler

If you go with two plastic pipes, one inside the other, the inner serves as a holder of the sail, the outer holds the pipe.

Suggest external uvc resistant black pipe.

There are also many small holes in sail now from the hanks. As a backup, and peace of mind, if you thread some small dyneema cord into those holes and around the pipe it will provide strentgh if slot fails.

Wraps around the pipe reduce slot load and prevent slot from opening.

Yes, thread after sail in position.
Make a sock to pull over sail since you will leave in sun.

Find a light person

Sent from my MyPhone Agua Ocean Lite using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 16:29   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Do not underdesign the top swivel. You know the sail turns while the halyard remains fixed. You will have to address this fact somehow. A tube-in-tube swivel may be fine to start with. Maybe with a washer type teflon bearing of sorts, etc..

Picturespictures when available pls.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 10:27   #18

Boat: Westerly Cirrus 22'

Back to the drawing board. I may not be able to use the "foil" after all. My sail has a steel cable in lieu of a bolt rope and there is a loop and thimble at the top end. The loop won't fit inside of the tube. I considered (just for a moment) cutting it off, but if I ever wanted to attach the sail normally to a halyard I'd have to find a way to put another loop at the top. So rather than permanently damage my sail.....

I think the entire sail will now be outside of the foil. I removed the brass hanks to keep them from chaffing the fabric as the sail rolls over them. I'll line up the sail to the foil and cut holes in the foil where the hanks would have been and tie the sail to the forestay through these holes. I've seen this work in other designs.

The downside is that I really wanted to be able to raise and lower the sail at any time. Now it'll just stay rolled onto the furler until I remove the whole assembly for the winter. The upside is that I'll still be able to furl the jib from the relative safety of the cockpit, albeit not as elegantly as imagined. sigh
Voodooacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:17   #19

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

You must fasten/bond a pipe that holds the sail luff onto the pipe that rotates on the forestay. As soon as you cut the slot into a tube (pipe) it loses most of it's torsional rigidity and will twist chafeing the living tweedle out of your sail. Slice a plastic drinking straw and you will see what I mean. The double bubble assembly will be more like roller folding but it will work.
Old 28-08-2014, 11:40   #20

Boat: Cal 2-30

I once made a similar system on a 22'. Lengths of pvc tube inside aluminum tube with drum welded to bottom of aluminum tube and bearing between base of drum and lower piece of pvc. As you said downside is cannot drop the jib without unhooking forestay, but in my boat mast would stay up without it and could use halyard as backup forestay. Would like to see pic of yours.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:00   #21

Boat: 41' yawl

I agree with barnakiel - I think you need to think about the top swivel, simply attaching the head of the sail, and the halyard, to a collar that rotates around the foil is not sufficient - the two (head of sail and halyard) need to rotate _independently_. The idea is for your gizmo to allow the halyard to _hoist_ the sail but allow the halyard to stay put while the sail is furling / unfurling.

Some clever assembly of plastic bushings might accomplish this. I'd try a flanged inner bushing that fits over your "foil", then a second outer bushing that fits over the flanged one. Assembly would have the flange on the bottom, halyard would attach to the top of the flanged (inner) bushing, head of the sail would attach to the outer bushing. I just drew a picture because this paragraph is probably useless. (see attached "homemade_halyard_swivel.jpg".

Good luck - neat project, but I'm not sure the foil will be strong enough to handle the torsion of furling without going all candycane on you and breaking. If you could double up and use a router to make your luff guide rather than going all the way through the foil material that might help.

Also, not being able to douse a sail is in my opinion a pretty serious safety concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homemade_halyard_swivel.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	87249  
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:08   #22

Boat: Westerly Cirrus 22'

Chris,

Thank you so much for the tips and the drawing. Sailors are such a gracious bunch!

Truly, I'm getting such great feedback from this forum that I may just tear down the whole thing and start fresh. While furling is terrific, I agree the ability to get that sail down if things go bad is even more important.

Doubling up on the foil is also a good idea. I'd have to make a special jig to run the pvc through for the router, but I have some fairly crafty friends who may be able to take some of the guesswork out of it.

Thank you again - one and all!

Mark
Voodooacrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:43   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

If you are able to remove the wire (this is sometimes a hard job) you may be able to substitute it with a spectra boltrope. Such a spectra boltrope sail can be later hoisted free standing - no stay required (takes a strong halyard though).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:50   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

pretty sure the sail will come out of the slot when unfurled. CDI makes a budget furler you might look into .. they work pretty well.
Old 28-08-2014, 12:52   #25

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksculpter View Post
If you can find the schedule 80 your chance of success is way better.
i had the same thought but i dont think schedule 80 comes in str8 runs... do it? isnt it always in a roll?

which just put a 2nd question in my head...

how are you connecting the pvc lengths? the obvious choice is a pvc coupling, but you cant cut them on the seam the same way you can the pvc itself.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:57   #26

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

I didn't have roller furling on a Precision 21 years ago and an old salt with a ton of racing and cruising experience suggested I put a downhaul line on the 120 headsail so I could pull the headsail down from the cockpit in a hurry and not have to go forward.. it was attached to the shackle at the top of the sail then thru a block at deck level and back to the cockpit. I could release the halyard, pull the downhaul and sheets to keep it out of the water and have the headsail down in a few seconds without leaving the cockpit. Worked great and was a very inexpensive solution.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 13:02   #27

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Schedule 80 PVC comes in 20-foot lengths. I wonder if two pieces can be solvent-welded end to end without a coupling and be strong. Easy to try, and it might work.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 13:09   #28

Boat: csy 37

Here's another possibility.

I once owned a 1960's paceship eastwind that came with an old roller furling jib. The jib was not attached to the forestay in any way. It used its own wire luff rope in the sail in place of the forestay. A roller drum was fixed at the bottom. There was a swivel and shackle below the drum by which it was attached to a deck fitting. At the head of the sail/luff wire was another swivel and shackle so it could be attached to the jib halyard.

To use it you attached the tack to the deck fitting, the halyard to the head, and hoisted it like a jib. Route the furling line back to the cockpit, attach the jib sheets, and off you go. Simple. It furled and unfurled just like any other roller furler jib. It could be removed fairly quickly and, since the forestay was not used, you could hoist a regular jib.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 13:22   #29

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Leave the sail partly wrapped on the "foil". One turn would most likely prevent the stress that could open the pipe slot. You would lose a bit of sail but not too much.
Old 29-08-2014, 14:37   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Excellent one turn idea

Sent from my MyPhone Agua Ocean Lite using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, roller furler