Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2022, 07:24   #31

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Re: Do I need to measure for sails?

Google search your boats sail plan that will tell what it should be. Also the sail maker should know and should measure it to be sure at least he should be prepard to do alterations if needed when they are fitted. Natuarlly this means using a local sailmaker if you can find one.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:25   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you choose to have your sails locally made, then yes have the local loft take measurements. But seriously its not rocket science!!! I'm not sure why people here are soo afraid to take measurements. If you work with an online loft, a good one will have a comprehensive form(s) for you to fill out and they will also review it and ask about anything that seems odd to them. If you want piece of mind, just take your measurements, wait a few days and go back with blank forms and do it all again to verify that you can measure!

I've bought sails for 3 different boats online with measurements and never had a problem. The closest I came was measuring my outside claw type sail slugs on my current boat. There are 2 sizes 7/8 and 5/8 but when I measured my track it didn't seem to add up so I just took pictures of the tack with my calipers on the measurement and sent them to the loft. When the called for the consult they explained it to me, when I got the sails they had the correct slides installed no problem.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:26   #33

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Google search your boats sail plan that will tell what it should be. Also the sail maker should know and should measure it to be sure at least he should be prepard to do alterations if needed when they are fitted. Natuarlly this means using a local sailmaker if you can find one.
Googling will tell you what it "should be", but production boats have variances, previous owners etc. No reputable sailmaker will make you sails based off internet only data!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 07:53   #34

Boat: Hunter 386

Just to reiterate. I am 1000 miles+ from the boat. I was just hoping (past tense) to show up in spring and have new sails in place rather than sail another season with the old ones.

All the lofts have been pretty insistent on measurements. I'll get the local charter company to do the measurements and suck up the extra costs.

Thanks everyone!
Old 21-01-2022, 08:08   #35

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Just to reiterate. I am 1000 miles+ from the boat. I was just hoping (past tense) to show up in spring and have new sails in place rather than sail another season with the old ones.

All the lofts have been pretty insistent on measurements. I'll get the local charter company to do the measurements and suck up the extra costs.

Thanks everyone!
Be very careful of measurements taken by a friend, acquaintance, or a local worker who is a) not a sailmaker and b) has no financial responsibility for errors.

Errors in measurements are common, even when done by a sailmaker. At least if you are buying sails from him the sailmaker will presumably take responsibility for errors in measurement. Your local charter outfit will probably not accept financial responsibility for a sail which is wrong and needs to be modified or worse, replaced. And you are going to be disappointed if your new sail needs a modification right out of the box.

Mainsails in particular are tricky.

I think you would be wise, if you are buying from a source not local to the boat, to do the measurements yourself even if it means you fly there to do it. Use the form provided by the sailmaker, and do it very carefully.
Old 21-01-2022, 08:27   #36

Boat: Hunter 46

Since your Hunter 386 has a furling mainsail, dimensions are critical and would only rely on a sail loft to make the measurements. Don't assume stock sail dimensions will fit perfectly.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 08:44   #37

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Just make the sailmaker doesn't use a "Joe Racer" to measure for cruiser sails. I told the sailmaker to just copy the ones I had (minus the baggyness and rips), but he sent out said Joe Racer to measure. My new sails are beautifully made, but I had to cut down the pulpit to clear the genoa, the swivel jams at the top, and I had to modify the clew attachment on the loose footed main.
The sailmaker has offered to re-cut them, but they are so beautifully made (Hyde) and I'm sure the re-cut will look Mickey-Mouse, so I'll just modify the boat to fit the sails.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 09:08   #38

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The sailmaker has offered to re-cut them, but they are so beautifully made (Hyde) and I'm sure the re-cut will look Mickey-Mouse, so I'll just modify the boat to fit the sails.
A quality sail loft can recut the sails for errors like you mention without making a "Mickey Mouse" job of it.

Here are the results of a recut for a Lagoon400 main which was too long on the leech (owner's measurement was incorrect).

One Sails in Puerto Vallarta did not make the sail but they did the recut and the sail is excellent now and fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tack-20210429-WA0000.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	251663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clew-20210429-WA0001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	251664  

Old 21-01-2022, 09:23   #39

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

When we needed a new 150 the local lofts all said they’d have to come measure. That’s for a c30tr.

I bought a Rolly Tasker advertised as for our boat and it fit perfectly. Then we sold the boat, with the beautiful new sail, but that’s a different story.

Multiple local sailors have bought from multiple local lofts, and did get measured, and there has been a shocking rate of screwed up sails. So go figure.
Old 21-01-2022, 15:57   #40

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:

Thanks everyone!
I think that is your best play. I ordered a new mai sail a year ago, and had no idea what to do. 30+ year old boat, I think original mainsail, and I had never ordered a sail before. Could have gotten a cheaper price from an on-line sail maker, but contacted North Sail, who has a loft in Chicago, and they sent a guy out…he measured and asked some questions. I specified full battens and he recommended Tides MarineStrong Track due to more friction caused by the battens.

Sail fit great, I installed the Strong Track myself, and I was comfortable because I had a pro measure things up and make recommendations.

Your challenge is being away from the boat…so you need to find someone to do it.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:31   #41

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Well it's time. I have both the need and the cash to get a new set of sails. What I don't have is access to the boat.

I was wondering how much of an issue ordering sails using the builders specs would be on a 2003 Hunter 386—its pretty well documented and afaik has no modifications done to it. I am not due to get to the coast until May and I would absolutely love to cruise on brand new sails this spring. I've done an initial round of quotes, but most videos/articles seem to suggest that whatever loft I choose is going to want actual measurements and that isn't likely to be possible until we get out there.

So... how dumb would it be to trust the specs?
I would measure it, just run a tape up the mast and boom.
Or measure the old sails.
Luff, foot and leech. Offset at goosneck, reef points etc.
Generally the sail maker can access sail data on the web.
Unless your mast, boom specs have been altered.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:20   #42

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Just make the sailmaker doesn't use a "Joe Racer" to measure for cruiser sails. I told the sailmaker to just copy the ones I had (minus the baggyness and rips), but he sent out said Joe Racer to measure. My new sails are beautifully made, but I had to cut down the pulpit to clear the genoa, the swivel jams at the top, and I had to modify the clew attachment on the loose footed main.
You had to modify the boat to fit the new sails? That's crazy. Demand that they remake them. You didn't pay for recut sails nor did you pay to have to make changes to your boat to fix their screw up. Remake the sails.
GSpencerCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails